I am in trouble for Self RX for klonopin.

What should i do?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What should i do?

• Get a lawyer
    • Explain myself to the board

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of posting how dumb it was to do this and pilling on....how about a little empathy. Life can get really hard at times and shockingly to some here, not everybody lives for their career. When you are losing your wife, husband, kids etc., you tend to make irrational choices. We are humans just like the messed up patients we see everyday. The TMB forgets that quite frequently. They are more interested in the politics of discipline then in restoring a provider back to practice by helping them get back to a place of solid footing.

Having said that I agree that you should contact the dependence support for providers in Texas and get a good lawyer. Texas loves to crucify providers for things like this.

Instead of posting how dumb it was to do this and pilling on....how about a little empathy. Life can get really hard at times and shockingly to some here, not everybody lives for their career. When you are losing your wife, husband, kids etc., you tend to make irrational choices. We are humans just like the messed up patients we see everyday. The TMB forgets that quite frequently. They are more interested in the politics of discipline then in restoring a provider back to practice by helping them get back to a place of solid footing.

Having said that I agree that you should contact the dependence support for providers in Texas and get a good lawyer. Texas loves to crucify providers for things like this.

Fair enough. OP, also check out the CMDA (Christian Medical and Dental Association). They have counseling resources and can link you up with someone in your neck of the woods for stuff like this. I suppose it goes without saying that this was a bad move and you should have known better. After dealing with numerous people on state boards etc. I can tell you that the boards decisions are medical and not legal. A lawyer can help you with battling malpractice etc. but the board is charged with ensuring the safest environment is provided for the people in their state. Every one of these people I have talked to have told me, "open honesty is the best policy" with the boards. With the legal piece if there is one, get a lawyer. There are resources that can help you obtain employment if you get in a bind. Numerous PA's in this situation have found ways to get back in practice and many sought work with marketing for drug companies or have moved on to seeking degrees in admin or public health.... It doesn't sound as sexy as medicine but not all is lost. I know you probably can't take your mind off of this and medical board decisions drag out... My 2 cents is make 2 plans. Make a plan to survive if you take a beating and cannot be involved in medicine again and make a plan if you have to endure some temporary suspensions. Then find ways to clear your mind so you aren't always focusing on this. Given the reason you were rx'ing this to yourself you are already predisposed to stressing. Find a healthy goal in your life that is independent of the results of this and other people seek success in that avenue. This way no matter what happens you have something to hold onto. Praying for you.

Archived