I am in trouble for Self RX for klonopin.

What should i do?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What should i do?

• Get a lawyer
    • Explain myself to the board

I am in trouble with TMB for self prescribing klonopin. I called in klonopin #30 for myself twice last year about 6months apart.

Somehow the pharmacy reported it to the board. When TMB contacted me, I told my SP what i did and he is very angry with me. He is still retaining me pending the out come of this case.

I am not addicted to any drugs. First inccident, i was going through a nasty dirvoce and the med helped to calm my nerves, second inccident

children custody battle. Though my situation is not an excuse, i need realistic advise or suggestion. Do i need to get a lawyer, if so any references to a good medical defense attorney? Should i just explain myself to the board and take a chance with their decision? what is the punishment for this type of offense? Has anybody had a similar experience or know of anybody who has gotten in trouble for controlled substance and the outcome?

I know that i messed up big time. Fellows i need your help to find solution. Go easy on ethics with me. I have slapped myself a thousand times. HELP!

THANKS.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in trouble with TMB for self prescribing klonopin. I called in klonopin #30 for myself twice last year about 6months apart.

Somehow the pharmacy reported it to the board. When TMB contacted me, I told my SP what i did and he is very angry with me. He is still retaining me pending the out come of this case.

I am not addicted to any drugs. First inccident, i was going through a nasty dirvoce and the med helped to calm my nerves, second inccident

children custody battle. Though my situation is not an excuse, i need realistic advise or suggestion. Do i need to get a lawyer, if so any references to a good medical defense attorney? Should i just explain myself to the board and take a chance with their decision? what is the punishment for this type of offense? Has anybody had a similar experience or know of anybody who has gotten in trouble for controlled substance and the outcome?

I know that i messed up big time. Fellows i need your help to find solution. Go easy on ethics with me. I have slapped myself a thousand times. HELP!

THANKS.

I had a friend that was a DO in her residency that did the same thing. Almost the exact same story with divorce, kids, and just trying to cope. She was in California, but ended up having to spend a pretty penny on a specialized lawyer with a couple of appearances in front of the California Medical Board. Long story short, she got to keep her license in exchange for documented in-patient treatment and large fine. To this day she is still under probation and must have her narcotics orders co-signed. She is also still paying back family for footing the bill for the slick lawyer and the treatment. Time to make a plan B just in case.

I had a friend that was a DO in her residency that did the same thing. Almost the exact same story with divorce, kids, and just trying to cope. She was in California, but ended up having to spend a pretty penny on a specialized lawyer with a couple of appearances in front of the California Medical Board. Long story short, she got to keep her license in exchange for documented in-patient treatment and large fine. To this day she is still under probation and must have her narcotics orders co-signed. She is also still paying back family for footing the bill for the slick lawyer and the treatment. Time to make a plan B just in case.

- whatever you do from this point on, be truthful. when you have to face the medical board, let that be your guiding principle.

-it only makes sense to obtain legal counsel and with a lawyer very familiar in these matters.

-review the ethical standards for a PA; in PA school part of the curriculum was a class entitled medical ethics and jurisprudence; we reviewed a specific document that talked at length about ethics for PA (topics like prescribing meds for family members, etc etc)

- find someone (professional) who can treat and support you (professional and personal) when you are having anxiety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- whatever you do from this point on, be truthful. when you have to face the medical board, let that be your guiding principle.

-it only makes sense to obtain legal counsel and with a lawyer very familiar in these matters.

-review the ethical standards for a PA; in PA school part of the curriculum was a class entitled medical ethics and jurisprudence; we reviewed a specific document that talked at length about ethics for PA (topics like prescribing meds for family members, etc etc)

- find someone (professional) who can treat and support you (professional and personal) when you are having anxiety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will likely have an opportunity to also meet with the Texas Physician Health Program, at your cost. This body, as directed by the TMB, oversees health related issues involving physicians, PA's, etc.. For those in Texas, should you answer "yes" to the question inquiring as to new health issues on your annual license renewal questionnaire (not even substance abuse related), you may be invited to meet with them at their office in Austin, regardless of whether or not the requested explanatory letter is clear cut in your eyes.

You will likely have an opportunity to also meet with the Texas Physician Health Program, at your cost. This body, as directed by the TMB, oversees health related issues involving physicians, PA's, etc.. For those in Texas, should you answer "yes" to the question inquiring as to new health issues on your annual license renewal questionnaire (not even substance abuse related), you may be invited to meet with them at their office in Austin, regardless of whether or not the requested explanatory letter is clear cut in your eyes.

Archived