Deciding Between Schools

Hello, I was wondering if any PA students could offer their opinion. I am right now deciding between two schools.. both are pretty equal in price. One school begins a little earlier (advantage for me) and is located in the city which I want to eventually live. For me, I see that as an advantage as my clinical rotations would be in the city I would want to live in.. thus giving me the opportunity to see where I might like to find a job or go on rotations with prospective employers. It is a great program but the facilities are not as built up as the second one. The second program is in another city about 2 hours away. It is an amazing top-notch school, and I know that. I guess my heart seems to be saying to go to the school near home, despite the fact that it might not have as great of a reputation. Does reputation ultimately matter? It is an honor to be accepted to both... I guess it is just a very difficult decision. Thank you for your thoughts

When you've visited your own PCP, do you ever look at their degree on the wall and mentally gauge whether or not they are a worthwhile provider? My guess is no, and I'm sure none of your patients or coworkers will care where you came from. What they will care about is how well you do your job, so pick the program that you think will prepare you most fully. :) If you ever interview for your first job and their first question is "well, why did you attend X school, they aren't even in the top 10 programs in the US..." that's your cue to get the hell outta there!

If you ever interview for your first job and their first question is "well, why did you attend X school, they aren't even in the top 10 programs in the US..." that's your cue to get the hell outta there!

LOL. I wonder how many people are actually asked about where they went to school and did it impact on their hiring? I have never been asked and the only time seemed to matter was when I when to work for the PA program I graduated from.

Lesh

Guest guthriesm

Ok CJKitty is awesome.

To be superfluous I will add this:

I was between two schools as well. I felt both schools were high quality even though only one was ranked. I also know the last ranking was in 2006. I wanted a school that I felt would focus on *my* education and give me the tools to take the PANCE. Since both schools pretty much lined up down the row- I picked the earlier start date.

Go where you can study and learn for 2+ years. If you can graduate and take the PANCE then you are a success.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes, I was accepted at both schools. Both are high-calibar schools which will give me a great education. I have pretty much decided on the one I truly loved the most and that is closer to home. It also has an earlier start date which I like as well guthriesm. I agree with your advice that ranking is not as important as where you feel you will get a good education or just feel "right" there. I just wanted to get your thoughts as it is a very weighty decision. Thank you! :)

Archived