can you be pregnant and attending PA School any advice pls

I got pregnant with my second child at the start of second (clinical) year. I thought I was going to be able to finish, but I ended up having to take time off and finish my preceptorship a couple months later. I graduated the semester following what I should have graduated. Everything turned out fine -- my only problem was explaining to people why I graduated late, as the graduation date for my school is well-known in the area (and different than all the other schools in the state).

That said, I would NOT recommend being pregnant during didactic year. I felt that my program was very amenable to me during clinical year, but didactic year was very fast and I can't imagine doing it. I know people do it, but I would not want to in retrospect.

I got pregnant with my second child at the start of second (clinical) year. I thought I was going to be able to finish, but I ended up having to take time off and finish my preceptorship a couple months later. I graduated the semester following what I should have graduated. Everything turned out fine -- my only problem was explaining to people why I graduated late, as the graduation date for my school is well-known in the area (and different than all the other schools in the state).

That said, I would NOT recommend being pregnant during didactic year. I felt that my program was very amenable to me during clinical year, but didactic year was very fast and I can't imagine doing it. I know people do it, but I would not want to in retrospect.

• 1 month later...
It was hard and it still is but with support you can do it :)

I completely agree! I'm starting PA school in the fall so I can't give you any advice regarding that specific program. My sister, however, is getting her PhD and had a baby. She's told me how hard it is, but she's still doing well in school. With a strong support system I think it would be doable.

I got pregnant at the beginning of my last didactic term. I ended up doing three rotations before I was out with my son. I took off for a total of 12 weeks (each rotation was 6 weeks). I was able to walk with my class and finished up my last two rotations after. My school was very understanding with how my rotations were scheduled. I did FM, OB and a derm elective while pregnant. Came back doing peds, IM, ID elective and another peds elective. My last two, EM and SURG were the ones I did after graduation. Everything worked out well for me. But I could not have done it without the support of my husband and family.

Archived