1st Person Account of Life as a PA Student at Marietta

I wrote a book about what life was like as a student in the Marietta PA program. It's available as a paperback or for the Kindle at:

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Man-Campus-middle-aged-ebook/dp/B00BVOLDDC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1363786122&sr=1-1&keywords=old+man+on+campus

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Marietta and hope you will consider applying there.

Barry

MCPA Class of 06

• 3 months later...

Excerpt:

Our class, accompanied by many family members wielding cameras, assembles Saturday morning in the Great Room of Andrews Hall. While the college president looks on from the audience, faculty members help us slip on white coats, each emblazoned with the school patch that Jan sewed on for many of us. The short, waist-length coats mark us as medical students. After we graduate, we’ll move on to the knee-length coats of clinicians.

The past president of the American Academy of Physician Assistants speaks, as does the president of the class just ahead of us. The faculty awards one full scholarship in each class, and ours aptly is being given to Melissa. She’s one of the nicest people I’ve ever met, and she plans to work in Appalachia after graduation. Then, standing as a group, we recite the physician assistant oath.

Picture taking begins in earnest once the ceremony ends, and the guests start milling around. Some of the parents stop by to talk, often to ask me what it’s like being back in school at my age. One father tells me that he has always wanted to be a teacher, and, if I can go back to school, then maybe he could too. I’m getting used to my presence here being something more than a personal adventure. If it also provides others with a glimpse of their own possibilities, then I’m happy to share what I can.

It’s sunny and cool Sunday morning when we awake in what Linda calls our “getaway apartment.” I make breakfast, and Skyler joins in, eating out of a spare dog bowl we keep here for his visits. Later we leave him behind, take a picnic basket with us to the boat landing, and board the excursion stern-wheeler Valley Gem.

The Valley Gem motors up the Muskingum River for a few miles and then retraces its steps and enters the Ohio River. As the autumn colors reach their peak in the afternoon sun, we cruise past Marietta and head upriver. Linda and I sit on the open upper deck and enjoy our picnic lunch of sandwiches, sliced apples, crackers, cheese, and wine. Later the stern-wheeler enters a lock, raising the boat twenty-six feet to the level of the upper reaches of the Ohio. As the afternoon grows cool, we move down into the cabin for the trip back to port.

It’s been a great day, and, when it’s over, Linda and Skyler drive off, and I go back to my studies. School is a succession of milestones, and more are always just ahead. In the immortal words of Dr. Seuss, I have to wonder about all the places I’ll go in my new short, white, medical-student coat.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

• 2 years later...

I just finished you book and it was a great read. I originally started it because I was worried about how old I would be when I'm ready to apply and your tales of how you prepared for school and times and trials while in the program helped me to feel more confident in my decision to go forward with my plans. I don't know if Marietta will be the school I end up at but with family it will prob most likely be a central Ohio school. Your book is wonderful. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived