Good place to live between Touro and San Francisco?

Hi there,

My name is Jeannie and I just recently got accepted to Touro University for Class for 2016 :) My boyfriend will be moving with me to the Bay Area and we are looking for a good and safe place to live that's about equal commute between San Francisco and Mare Island. He's going to school in SF. Does anyone know of a place in the middle that is worth checking into? Please let me know, thanks in advance!

Jeannie

Hi there,

My name is Jeannie and I just recently got accepted to Touro University for Class for 2016 :) My boyfriend will be moving with me to the Bay Area and we are looking for a good and safe place to live that's about equal commute between San Francisco and Mare Island. He's going to school in SF. Does anyone know of a place in the middle that is worth checking into? Please let me know, thanks in advance!

Jeannie

I grew up in Vallejo. I live about two towns up in the east bay. SF commute is gonna suck either way unless u use BART from the east bay. Vallejo commute is reverse commute. I recommend pinole or crockett or Hercules. Nice and suburby. Close to BART too. Stay away from Richmond or Oakland. Berkeley can b rough too.

Remember that the closer you get to SF the pricier it gets.

Oh if your BF works near the embarcadero or finance district you can live in Benicia (real nice historic town and very safe) and he can ferry in. It's easier on the nerves than driving I80. My wife used to do that when we lived in Vallejo.

Make sure you get a fast track when you cross the Zampa bridge. Saves you time...not so much any money. PM me if you need more info.

ETA: Congrats btw!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Hello! Congrats on getting in; I'm still waiting for an invitation to interview.

Pinole, Crockett and Hercules are probably good spots along with Albany and El Cerrito. The problem is these places put you in the I-80... which is terrible pretty much all...the...time. Luckily, I can manage to avoid it.

I live in Walnut Creek which is about 35 minutes to Touro by car. You can go over the Benicia-Martinez Bridge ($5 toll...the bridges here all have tolls). I'm walking distance to BART and can get down to downtown SF in about 40 minutes. When my husband and I decide to go to SF, most of the time we take BART. Driving to SF from most places in the East Bay is terrible.

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I'll definitely make sure to look into those places. It's a little nerve racking to move to such a new area and not really know where is a safe place to live... I'd be grateful for any more recommendations as well if anyone can think of any other safe neighborhoods. :)

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I'll definitely make sure to look into those places. It's a little nerve racking to move to such a new area and not really know where is a safe place to live... I'd be grateful for any more recommendations as well if anyone can think of any other safe neighborhoods. :)

You can also live in the North Bay. Like San Rafael and Novato etc. Your BF would drive in through the GG bridge to the city and you through 101 and 37 which takes you straight to Mare Island. Really nice places to live there.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

My husband has been in WC since 2006, I've been here since 2008. We've been contemplating moving from our 1 bedroom into a 2 bedroom apartment; we've been visiting other complexes - from Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Concord, Martinez and Bay Point/Pittsburg. Walnut Creek is definitely the most expensive. It's a "hot" area for professionals to be, especially if you're commuting because you have fairly good BART and highway access. Another thing we've noticed is you'll pay a premium for an apartment with a washer and dryer in the unit (they are a rare find... especially with full sized washer & dryer). Many apartments do have laundry facilities. Studio and 1 bedroom apartments can be a challenge to find in the area right now (especially large 1 bedrooms), though that could change in the next few months.

We're still debating about whether to move (which is such a hassle and today we're thinking not), but if we were to move, our first choice is the place in Bay Point/Pittsburg. It is equally as far to the campus as our location in Walnut Creek. Most think of Bay Point/Pittsburg as a bad area; however, the area where the complex is away from the iffy areas. It more upper middle class, predominantly Asians (Filipinos). It's next to the 4 and BART is a mile away, not bad, but we're currently much closer to BART.

We currently live in Walnut Creek walking distance to BART and just a short drive to the 680. Most of the apartments we looked at are near freeways (which is important to us), but we'd lose close proximity to BART (which we're not sure we want to give up -- we like being able to walk to/from BART with luggage when we travel). We dine out quite a bit, and there's a lot to choose from. My husband wishes there was more ethnic diversity, in people and food. The Bay Area is diverse, but Walnut Creek and the areas around are not as diverse as my husband would like, yet he doesn't wish to live in Oakland or Berkeley which has the diversity he wants -- he dislikes the congestion on that side of the Caldecott Tunnel, nor does he wish to be near the Hayward Fault.

In Concord, the place to not reside on/around is Monument Blvd. However, we like some of the Mexican food there... such as like Tortilleria El Molina.

What specifically would you like to know about the Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill/Concord area?

My husband has been in WC since 2006, I've been here since 2008. We've been contemplating moving from our 1 bedroom into a 2 bedroom apartment; we've been visiting other complexes - from Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Concord, Martinez and Bay Point/Pittsburg. Walnut Creek is definitely the most expensive. It's a "hot" area for professionals to be, especially if you're commuting because you have fairly good BART and highway access. Another thing we've noticed is you'll pay a premium for an apartment with a washer and dryer in the unit (they are a rare find... especially with full sized washer & dryer). Many apartments do have laundry facilities. Studio and 1 bedroom apartments can be a challenge to find in the area right now (especially large 1 bedrooms), though that could change in the next few months.

We're still debating about whether to move (which is such a hassle and today we're thinking not), but if we were to move, our first choice is the place in Bay Point/Pittsburg. It is equally as far to the campus as our location in Walnut Creek. Most think of Bay Point/Pittsburg as a bad area; however, the area where the complex is away from the iffy areas. It more upper middle class, predominantly Asians (Filipinos). It's next to the 4 and BART is a mile away, not bad, but we're currently much closer to BART.

We currently live in Walnut Creek walking distance to BART and just a short drive to the 680. Most of the apartments we looked at are near freeways (which is important to us), but we'd lose close proximity to BART (which we're not sure we want to give up -- we like being able to walk to/from BART with luggage when we travel). We dine out quite a bit, and there's a lot to choose from. My husband wishes there was more ethnic diversity, in people and food. The Bay Area is diverse, but Walnut Creek and the areas around are not as diverse as my husband would like, yet he doesn't wish to live in Oakland or Berkeley which has the diversity he wants -- he dislikes the congestion on that side of the Caldecott Tunnel, nor does he wish to be near the Hayward Fault.

In Concord, the place to not reside on/around is Monument Blvd. However, we like some of the Mexican food there... such as like Tortilleria El Molina.

What specifically would you like to know about the Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill/Concord area?

Thanks for the advice! Well Concord just seems a bit closer to campus than Walnut Creek. Would you say that the commute from Walnut Creek to Touro isn't too bad, even with the toll bridge? I know it is definitely the safest area around and has a nice downtown and all but I'm also worry about commute. My boyfriend will be wanting to take the BART into SF pretty frequently which is why we're really interested in WC and Pleasant Hill area. I've only heard good things about WC, even if it is a bit more expensive, it is safer. Is Pleasant Hill cheaper? Or as safe? What about Concord, in terms of commute, safety, restaurants/nightlife? Thanks!

Jeannie

Thanks for the advice! Well Concord just seems a bit closer to campus than Walnut Creek. Would you say that the commute from Walnut Creek to Touro isn't too bad, even with the toll bridge? I know it is definitely the safest area around and has a nice downtown and all but I'm also worry about commute. My boyfriend will be wanting to take the BART into SF pretty frequently which is why we're really interested in WC and Pleasant Hill area. I've only heard good things about WC, even if it is a bit more expensive, it is safer. Is Pleasant Hill cheaper? Or as safe? What about Concord, in terms of commute, safety, restaurants/nightlife? Thanks!

Jeannie

I would stay in WC. My brother and I were jumped by 6 caucasian teenagers after having dinner at the parking lot in Concord/pleasant hill some years ago.....we drove home, some of them got a ride in an ambulance...the rest in a squad car...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

I would stay in WC. My brother and I were jumped by 6 caucasian teenagers after having dinner at the parking lot in Concord/pleasant hill some years ago.....we drove home, some of them got a ride in an ambulance...the rest in a squad car...

Wow, I know that every area has it's sketchy parts but thanks for the advice. I'm sorry that happened to you and your brother!

So I was looking up on the toll that it takes to get from WC to Touro, you only get charge one way right? So it's $4 total, not each way, correct?

Wow, I know that every area has it's sketchy parts but thanks for the advice. I'm sorry that happened to you and your brother!

So I was looking up on the toll that it takes to get from WC to Touro, you only get charge one way right? So it's $4 total, not each way, correct?

Right just one way...no worries about me and my brother, we weren't the ones that got hurt. ;)

Archived