where do I keep my LOR until I apply?

Hey guys, first time post, long time visitor. I'm applying for PA school in a year but maybe two, depending on a few things. I graduated from U of Illinois last semester and am in the process of getting a letter of recommendation from one of my professors there. However, what I don't understand is how to save a letter of recommendation until I apply. Unfortunately the career center with U of I doesn't send LORs to CASPA, nor can I send it to CASPA until I want to apply (right? they only hold onto your application materials for 1 application period). So, is there anyway to get a LOR saved and then to send it to CASPA in two years? CASPA and the career center said to contact my professor in two years but that seems a bit odd. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Also CASPA does not accept letters stored by interfolio, or at least that was what I was told on the phone. Thanks in advance.

-Sean

Sean,

LOR are submitted electronically for CASPA. They do not allow any other option. Best bet is to explain this to your professor and see if they would be willing to write your letter later on down the road. I was in a similar position a few years ago. I informed the professor near the end of the class the LOR process for PA school and I emailed him 2 months before I needed it and set up a 5 minute meeting with him. In the email, I included an in depth resume as well as a detailed information about my success in his class. I kept the meeting to 5 minutes because I recognized writing me a letter was a favor and not an obligation on his part. The tools I sent him helped make his life much easier, and gave him things to write about in his letter. Definitely keep a few alternates in mind in the event that your professor doesn't come through for you.

Get the letter from the professor so that you can give him/her a copy of it when the time comes to apply. That'll make it so that they won't lose the file and have to start from scratch and won't forget the fine details about your performance. Just explain the situation. This also gives you the option to find future references that may be more pertinent(i.e. a PA/doc that you work with while earning HCE).

• 1 month later...

Archived