2 job offers

I have been offered a job in cardiology (would be a new specialty for me) that is a 45 min drive from my house. The pay is Ok, but not great, and the job doesn't knock my socks off, but seems like a nice place to work compared to where I am at now. I have accepted the offer and am in the process of going through their background check and other paperwork.

the problem is I was offered a surgical job (my current specialty) at a hospital 15 min from my house, better pay and at a facility I have worked at in the past. I get along great with the surgeons and is really where I want to be professionally. (I was not expecting this job when I accepted the previous offer.)

my question is: what is my obligation to the first job? Would it be in poor form to decline the position now? If I was honest with them, knowing I probably wouldn't be happy there? Or suck it up and stick to my word and go through with the first job?

Two points.

1. People on this forum often argue that it is difficult to find a job that satisfies the three most important criteria for job selection. Those criteria are A. location B. specialty and C. pay. It would seem that you hit the trifecta with the surgical job. It is 15 min away vs 45 min. It is surgery vs cardio. It is better pay.

2. Obligation to whom? Everyone in this world acts in their own self interest. Your employer won't hestitate for a moment to terminate you without consideration if it works in their self interest. All you are doing is acting in your self interest rather than their self interest. You have only an obligation to yourself.

I agree with Ventana for the most part, but the only hold back I would have is what you mentioned - your word. You verbally accepted the offer for the first job and I would have a hard time looking myself in the mirror if I broke my word. If you've signed a contract, then you're pretty much stuck and it would be a definite no-no. That would be clear cut.

What would be less clear cut for me is the verbal acceptance without having signed anything (or no promise of a contract). If there is no signature, then you have wiggle room and you might be able to justify breaking your word - more money, closer to home, better hours, etc. are all better for your family (if you have one). That would be a deal changer in my mind. In that event I could easily live with myself by saying, "Hey, I know I told you I'd come to work for you, but these other guys offered me something that is too good to pass up for my family's sake, so I'm gonna' go with that."

If there's no one else in the equation, then you'll have to wrestle with your personal integrity vs. perfect job. If you promised the cardiology guys you'd be there for them when they need you, then I would say you should stick with that. I may be a little old fashioned, though.

My $.02.

Andrew

Andrew makes a good point, but you don't think that 99% of any business wouldn't take another person over you who came in the next day who has better credentials and will work more hours for less pay, etc...I know this example is a bit of an exageration because comparing an employer offer to the other isn't really comparable but you get my drift. They have plenty of other PA's to choose from I'm sure. Who's to say you weren't the 3rd or 4th person they called and you were finally the one who accepted the job verbally. My point is, you didn't know another (better) opportunity would come along so you committed to what you could get, they probably have a stack of applications they can go back to and hire someone from.

Personally, take the surgery position! You will be thinking everyday as you drive min of 1.5 hours round trip, man I could be home by now, and happy, and paid better, and doing what I really like.

That can be defeating at the end of a rough week.

Also, having verbally accepted a position (prior to PA school), and moved across the country in rapid sequence for my future employers benefit (a highly regarded university in Texas) to only figure out half of what they promised and we agreed on was not going to happen..... unless its signed on every last sheet of paper you can back out. Heck they will and could and would back out if they had some motivation to.

second job after contract signed ..... surgery is your specialty and career .... why do something totally different makes no sense ..... when you withdraw from the cardiology position let them know that after reviewing things further with family the salary and benefits were not feasible. let the next PA get an even better offer.

Job offers should not be taken as a throw-myself-on-the-grenade proposition. You have never worked in cardiology (I do) and your new SP will have tons of stuff to teach you after you report. Hiring you was just the begining of his expense.

Save him from wasting his time (and yours). Take the job that is best for you and, if it is the surgical position, that go for it. If you leave the cardio before you report, you will have saved your erstwhile SP a lot of heartache and expense (no pun intended!) as well.

We all do what's best for us, especially when it comes to taking and leaving jobs. Good luck!

I agree with Ventana for the most part, but the only hold back I would have is what you mentioned - your word. You verbally accepted the offer for the first job and I would have a hard time looking myself in the mirror if I broke my word.

It's just business and probably the more professional thing to do so he doesn't waste the doc's time for a year and then move on anyway.

I agree with Ventana for the most part, but the only hold back I would have is what you mentioned - your word. You verbally accepted the offer for the first job and I would have a hard time looking myself in the mirror if I broke my word. If you've signed a contract, then you're pretty much stuck and it would be a definite no-no. That would be clear cut.

not even a signed contract is as clear cut as you think

i have heard horror stories of people moving across country only to get the job offer taken away, or just told their was no longer a position

You have to play it very careful, but I would caution against going to work for a place only because you 'gave your word' - companies these days don't care a darn about someone;s word , they hardly care about legal contracts

I would really be open and honest and try like mad to not burn any bridges, life is a strange thing and blowing someone off now, will likely at some point in the future come back and haunt you, however, being a professional and handling it as best you can is the right choice.

oh yeah and BTW a company likely doesn't want you if they know you are just going to quit in a years time.....

Archived