? from a pre PA person: Nursing Model of Education vs. Physician Model of Education

Hello and thank you for your time. I have a question about models of education.

As I prep for my upcoming interview I have been going over theoretical questions and my theoretical answers. One of which of course is "Why PA?" As a former Navy Corpsman and current paramedic, the informal, off the cuff answer is obvious to me. However, in the spirit of keeping things positive I think it would behoove me to formulate my answers in a manner that highlight the "nursing model" of education and care and compare it to that of the "physician model" then illustrate why the physician model is a better fit for me.

So far, what I have found in print that matches with what I believe to understand about the nursing model is that nursing focuses on "physical, spiritual, psychological, and sociocultural components."

Physician model appears to be well illustrated with "complaint, history, physical examination, ancillary tests if needed, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis with and without treatment" and "The medical model is an approach to pathology that aims to find medical treatments for diagnosed symptoms and syndromes and treats the human body as a very complex mechanism" (Thanks to Wikipedia)

I have seen the quote "PA's are trained in a medical model instead of nursing model" but I do not find well documented definitions of what those exactly are. Saying the phrase "nursing model" is as helpful as describing the color red as "not blue or pink". While it's an accurate description, it doesn't tell me anything. If I sat on a AdCom and an interviewee said "I prefer to practice under a medical/physician model instead of a nursing model" my immediate next request of the prospective student would be "please define or explain what each model is and how they differ".

If I had to answer the question today I am not sure I would be eloquent. I like the definitions that I have found to this point but I am always up for more ideas. I would really appreciate some input.

Thanks so much

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first post. I second Steve's question. I see the "medical model" VS. "nursing model" thing brought up all the time in this forum and elsewhere but have yet been able to find what I'd consider a well-wrought explanation of the differences between the two. Someone please drop some clarity down on us. Thanks.

Archived