How many schools is enough?

I will be applying for a second time this upcoming April. This past application cycle I applied to 9 schools, and only received one interview invitation. I feel like I wasted a lot of money by applying to so many schools. Currently, I am really considering applying only to 3 schools. I want to stay within a certain area and I am not too keen on the idea of applying out of state. But since I will be a re-applicant should I push myself to go outside of my comfort zone? Or should I be honest with myself and just do whatever it takes to make me the best applicant possible to those 3 schools?

The bigger question is: did you get a chance to learn why you didn't get more interviews last time and then try to make some changes to counter that?

I don't known what your chances are this time. Unlike applying for jobs though, it is probably less a numbers game (i.e., apply to lots of places and one of them will take me) than it is making a readjustment in your packet (or your grades, or recommendations, or ...) to make it look better.

Good luck!

Last year I applied to 8 programs all based on geography... 1 interview 7 rejections and then later not accepted where I interviewed. This year I had a better understanding of how the admission process works and applied to the 2 schools I felt were my best shot. Interviewed at 1 out of 2 schools and accepted. It's not really just a cast a wide net and see what you catch... You gotta go look where the fish are (or where you have the best shot) before you cast your net.

Last year, I applied to 9. I got two interviews and didn't get either of them. This year, I applied to 19 schools, got 4 interviews, and one acceptance. 19 seems like a ridiculous amount at the time, but it worked out in the end.

I WILL say that I was accepted at one of the schools I interviewed at the first year, but I really believe the additional interviews prepared me for the one I really wanted. The school that accepted me was my first choice.

So...the choice is really up to you and what you think will benefit you most. The additional applications and interviews could be really beneficial to you, or they could be a needless expense.

Archived