Understanding the difference between NP and PA

I will be applying to PA school for the second time this upcoming April. I feel I need to prepare better for interviews and ready to answer the question why do you want to be a PA, not NP, or MD/DO?

I have been researching the difference between NP and PA and there doesn't seem to be a HUGE difference so I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

From what I have gathered here are the differences:

Nurse Practitioners can work independently of a Physician while a PA must work in conjunction with a Physician.

PAs education is based more off of the medical model, and focuses more on clinical procedures.

PAs are able to move around to different specialties more easily while NPs must be certified in whichever specialties they would like to practice within.

Are there any other differences that are important to know?

NP's are not generally trained in surgical procedures. That could be relevant if you have an interest in surgery.

In my interview this question wasn't directly asked, but one interviewer asked why I chose PA. For me the biggest reason I focused on was medical model vs. nursing model. Being able to point out specific differences in the two will show that you really know the difference rather than just stating that you prefer the medical model.

Clinical hours are vastly different as well. Many NP programs require 400-600 clinical hours. Some more, some even less. PA programs are standardized at 2000 clinical hours of training (IIRC - it may be only 1800). This turns out a vastly different product. As mentioned, PA school includes mandatory rotations through general surgery, emergency medicine, pediatrics, etc. NP rotations are really variable in scope and quality.

Bottom line: PAs are better trained right out of school.

Andrew

OP,

You might want to brush up on just what the nursing model is and be able to compare and contrast it to the medical model. They are vastly different. Nursing concentrates on the patient's response to disease while the medical model concentrates on the pathology of disease. That is an oversimplification but gives you an idea. The NPs that I have worked with take a much more psycho-social approach to patients. My wife the MSN and I have been discussing the difference for 30+ yrs.

Okay ... http://www.nlnac.org/manuals/SC2013.htm ... and you misspelled accreditation.

Pretty sure he means a board for NPs only. For example, CRNA has a board all to themselves since they are completely separate from all other nursing, which is why you can find them outside schools of nursing. Just FYI. All other APNs use nursing accreditation, AACN or NLN.

Pretty sure he means a board for NPs only. For example, CRNA has a board all to themselves since they are completely separate from all other nursing, which is why you can find them outside schools of nursing. Just FYI. All other APNs use nursing accreditation, AACN or NLN.

It is what it is ... either way, I don't see any Physicians included ...

Archived