What are my changes to become a PA?

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and i had a few quick questions. I'm 28 and because of a lot of personal problems I have been out of school for a while. I am now deciding to start school once again and to become a Physician Assistant. I am planning to apply to a community college and take pre-req classes for PA. Then I plan to transfer to a 2 year college and complete the rest 2 years to get my bachelor degree. What are the chances of me getting into PA school if I start off with a community college? your advices and help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Depends what your previous grades are and what you end up getting in your pre-reqs... Kinda hard to tell you without knowing all of those or you healthcare experience (HCE). If you can knockout all your pre-reqs with good grades and gain some healthcare experience I would even say apply to some Bachelor's PA programs at that point. If you get in to one of those programs you just saved yourself two years of work towards a non-PA degree. Lot of variables you need to know to give you an honest answer.

I PM'd you. Essentially it means that after you finish your two years of pre-reqs you could apply to Bachelor's programs and the back half of that degree would be PA school (ie MEDEX). If you get in, you're two years ahead of where you would be should you wait and apply to Master's only programs. Just saying its an option to look into.

There are also some schools that offer an associates degree. Riverside Community College and SJVC being two that come to mind (they also offer a bridge program through St. Franscis University for a masters if you already have a bachelors degree). Throwing that out there for you too.

28 doesn't sound old to me; I started taking prereqs when I was 51. You sound like you are new to your dream of PA school. Before you get all wrapped up in where you go from here, I would (a) take a class at community college and see what it feels like and (b) find a way to get exposed to the world of healthcare. These actions will probably either solidify your plans or point you in a new direction.

Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Archived