Starting from scratch - need advice!

Hello. I am a senior college student set to graduate in May with a non-science related bachelor degree, a 3.4 GPA, and an assortment of campus involvement and leadership activities. I've become fairly certain that being a PA is what I really want to do, and have very little passion for what I'm studying. My parents discouraged me from changing my major because it would mean not graduating in four years. However, I intend to shadow a PA in order to decide if this is what I want to do. If it is, where do I even start? It would mean gaining considerable HCE and taking many, many pre-requisites, and because my undergraduate GPA is so mediocre, I don't know what to do. I know that graduate programs are getting increasingly more competitive and that scares me. I know I can score well on the GRE, and I have an aptitude towards science as long as I apply myself. My question is, what should I focus on after graduation? What kind of HCE would be most valued and attainable for me? And should I take coursework at a four year university or is it acceptable to take it at a community college?

I'm lucky to be graduating without debt and have a lot of support. I just don't know where to start.

Shadowing a PA is a good place to start. There would be no sense in spending so much time and money taking prereqs if you discovered that it wasn't actually something you wanted to pursue. Just out of curiosity, what has led you to believe that being a PA is what you really want to do? Once you spend some time shadowing, you then may want to investigate HCE. I think a lot of people do EMT or CNA because you can become certified in a relatively short period of time. You should be able to find some opportunity with either of these certifications almost anywhere, though finding a paid position may be somewhat difficult.

A 3.4 GPA won't hold you back from getting into a program. I also had a 3.4 in undergrad and will be starting PA school this fall. However, I made close to a 4.0 in postbacc classes and ended up with a 3.7 science GPA. Just focus on making stellar grades in the prereqs and you will be fine. Programs want to see that you can do well in the classes that matter to them. I hear that it doesn't matter if you take the classes at a community college or university, but I think some upper level sciences may not be offered at the community college level (someone correct me if that is wrong).

You are right to ask a lot of questions. It is a long and difficult path so you may as well know what you are getting yourself into.

If I were in your situation, I would take things one step at a time. You don't need to figure it all out today or solve all your perceived challenges. Focus on finding a PA to shadow, ask them lots of questions, and ask yourself some too, such as...is this what I want to do? Would I enjoy this 5 days a week 50 weeks a year?

Then go shadow more PA's and get their perspective.

If you like what you see then think about the schools you'd like to attend and develop an academic plan to meet their requirements as these vary across schools.

As for taking coursework at a university - well, if you are OK with taking out more loans or spending more of your down dollar then take them at a university but I'm paying for my own education, so I definitely go the CC route.

I agree with the community college approach. You can still have a day job and you'll also see a lot of other people going for their own dreams. Getting a BS (or BA) without a debt is not to be underestimated! Get some healthcare experience too (I did that for years and years while I kept a nonmedical fulltime job). That will hopefully help you be sure that you really want to go this route. After all, you did pick a different route last time.

Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Archived