Worried abt 3.3 overall undergrad GPA; 3.60 degree GPA; has 4.0 in all P.A. pre-reqs

I would love to get any advice/words of wisdom regarding my chances of getting into P.A. school.

My overall undergrad GPA is only a 3.3. I minored in Communications many moons ago and that brought my GPA down with some C's. My major was Political Science and my degree GPA was a 3.60. The last year or year-and-a-half during my undergrad I made straight A's. That was back in 2001 when I graduated from the University of Iowa.

I lived overseas post-graduation for a few years, and most recently was a paralegal for 6 or so years.

The last couple of years I have been taking p.a. science pre-req classes. I only have 3 science prereqs to left to take and so far I have gotten a 4.0 in all of my classes (about 35 hours). I will have about 10 more hours to complete after this semester and then I will be done. I am really worried about my GPA though, since a lot of schools seem to have a mean overall GPA of about a 3.7 (am I right?) and mine is probably only at about a 3.4. However, I am in an "academic fraternity" Phi Beta Kapa, which is really a bunch of people who have good grades and do community service work, which I am hoping will help. I also just recently got hired at a hospital as a Clinical Assistant, so I am gaining direct patient care hours. I still have to take the GRE.

So, some of my questions are: What do you think my chances are to get into P.A. school? Do schools look at overall GPA, or do they focus more on science G.P.A.? (The only science class I took in my undergrad was A & P about 15 years ago - C's in that - I just took Anatomy last semester and got an A. I am pretty confident I will do well next fall in physio). So, my overall science prereqs will be fairly close to a 4.0 - save that A&P grade from 15 years ago when I was 17 years old and a college freshman.

Thanks so much!

Jenny

I can't claim to know the inner workings of the selection process but my academic history is very similar to yours.

Cumulative GPA 3.33, a couple of C's back when I first started college at 17 (1992), finished my degree many years later (2008) and just finished my pre-reqs (2011) with a 4.0 and I was just accepted for the c/o 2015 PA program at MWU.

The CASPA calculates your GPA and categorizes science, non-science, year (Frosh, Soph, etc), post-bac, grad, etc. I have been told by one admissions director that they are concerned with GPA but they make considerations based on grade trending (ie. going up!).

I'd say you are definitely in the ballpark with your GPA, just be prepared to defend it without seeming defensive =)

Good luck to you!

I hate you. I mean...good job! I wish my gpa was that good I'm only at a 3.0 overall. That's a pretty respectable gpa with an upward trend and great pre-req gpa. I've seen several other posts like yours, and I believe that the answers you will get will say that you are a respectable candidate gpa wise. I think you should concentrate on getting HCE for awhile.

Majored in Communications and graduated with a 2.31 GPA in 2002. Painstakingly I raised my GPA to a 2.93 via MBA and Post Grad prerequisites. I start school in July. That being said I wouldn't worry about your GPA. Concentrate on your prerequisites, volunteering, and HCE. Don't forget to gather some shadowing along the way.

My GPA was exactly the same as yours 2.31. I brought it up to 2.91 roughly by post-bachelor medical assistant program and all the pre-reqs for PA, I have the same concern. But I guess it is close to the new application cycle, we would just have to give it a try and see what happens.

I would say your GPA is fine. It's higher than mine (CASPA overall 3.05) and I got in. I would try to rack up as many HCH's as possible and not worry to much about GPA. Good luck!

That's a very inspiring comment to read. Not that 3.05 is bad by any means but knowing someone less than my overall GPA of 3.2, got in. I've read many GPA's of hire degree and it worries me lol But its nice to see that having a GPA on the lower side isn't killer and that they really do take everything in consideration.

Your GPA is fine. Most important is the 4.0 on all your prerequisite classes. That speaks volumes in and of itself. Secondly, 3.3 cumulative is still a B+ average, which isn't bad...

As long as your personal statement is decent and your HCE are decent, you're likely to receive many interviews. Should you not gain acceptance to any PA programs, it will NOT be because of your academics/GPA. Finish those last 3 courses as strongly as you have the previous ones. Acquire good HCE/LOR. Write a good PS. Practice for the interview... success :D

That's a very inspiring comment to read. Not that 3.05 is bad by any means but knowing someone less than my overall GPA of 3.2, got in. I've read many GPA's of hire degree and it worries me lol But its nice to see that having a GPA on the lower side isn't killer and that they really do take everything in consideration.

It wasn't easy. I sacrificed a LOT! Left a job making $50k+ to get better patient hands on experience with a substantial pay cut ($12.50/hr as a PCT). And remember that's CASPA GPA, which seems to always be on the lower end of things. I actually graduated w/ a 3.53 GPA, my frosh year at CC over 12 years ago is what brought my GPA down. My last 100+ credits I have a 3.6 and last 32 credits all PA prereq's 4.0. If you want it bad enough you will go get it simple as that. I also interviewed at the school I was accepted to the year before and didn't get in, so I think that helped the 2nd time around.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived