Applying for next cycle, C/O 2016

Hello,

I've been a lurker on the PA forum for the last year or so. I finally feel like I have a reason to start a new thread and get some feedback. I live locally in San Jose and plan on applying to the PA program at Stanford/Foothill this Fall. One thing that worries me is my grade in Anatomy. My cumulative GPA for Anatomy, Micro, and Physiology is 3.0, which meets their requirement. I'm curious to know if my C in Anatomy will be frowned upon. Anatomy was the LAST science class I've taken at night. After that experience I've now taken time off work to take day classes and work longer days on non-school days.

I have 8 years experience as a back office medical assistant, 7 of those years with the same physician, so about 12,000-15,000 hours HCE. He supports me in my goal of getting into PA school. I'm hoping my HCE, my overall grades, and 3 physician references will be enough that my C in Anatomy won't be the reason I don't get far. I can't retake it at my current school because I passed it, if I do retake it at a different school that may push me back a year or two, depending if I can get into an Anatomy class fast. Enrolling in a class, especially Anatomy, at a school I have no priority at could be difficult.

I also feel like it would be worth a try to apply this year and if they were to say it was because of that C then I would definitely retake it.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you!

Rebecca

• 2 weeks later...

I would just apply and see what happens! In the mean time, maybe you should start the process of retaking the class just in case you need to. Have you called Lio and ask? I would, he should know! Good luck! I also live in San Jose and applying this year.

:0)

michelle

Hi Michelle,

You have to remember that the school is selecting the best 50 candidates every year. You have a 3.0 GPA so I assume you got an A and another B in your micro and physio class. You do qualify on paper, but you must remember that you are going up against other applicants that do not have a C in Anatomy. I strongly recommend that you retake that class and apply later. FYI, I was interviewed this year and I have As in all 3 classes. GL with your future.

Hi Michelle,

You have to remember that the school is selecting the best 50 candidates every year. You have a 3.0 GPA so I assume you got an A and another B in your micro and physio class. You do qualify on paper, but you must remember that you are going up against other applicants that do not have a C in Anatomy. I strongly recommend that you retake that class and apply later. FYI, I was interviewed this year and I have As in all 3 classes. GL with your future.

what did they ask u in the interview?

Rebecca, they are very open to having contact with prospective students and giving feedback... I've attended their sit in info sessions and there is a lot of info given about those exact issues. They make very clear what their emphasis is and what they are looking for. Sessions are often in the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived