Healthcare experience

I'm a sophomore in college and I want to start earning good healthcare experience. I've heard that becoming an EMT or CNA is beneficial, but I was wondering if working at the front desk of an OBGYN office and doing some volunteering at a hospital would be enough instead. The EMT classes where I live are four months long and it would be hard for me to do that plus a full load in college. Please help!

I believe PA's school want you to have patient treatment/contact. Volunteering in an ER is good, but I wouldn't imagine its what they are totally looking for. They want to know you can handle patients, not watch someone else do it or just clean up beds and dress them. This is why nurses, EMT-B/P, CNA etc. are preferred. I had to bite the bullet and do the 4 month EMT class while taking undergraduate classes. Did it my sophomore year, too. Sucked but it was 100% worth it due to the patient contact hours I have.

Agree with Dynamo. It's definitely best to have direct hands-on experience caring for patients, and for the most part that is something only a certification can provide. Also, completing a 4 month EMT-course and doing a full semesters of college work might go a long way in showing PA school committees that you can handle the rigor of the didactic year.

Archived