1st Person Account of Life in PA School

I've been a member of this forum for several years, long before I finally bit the bullet and went to PA school. I recently published an account of how I stumbled into medicine in my 30s and ultimately went to school at age 58. I hope that its day-to-day description of what that felt like will be of interest to prospective students of any age.

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Man-Campus-middle-aged-assistant/dp/1479372099/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361286737&sr=1-1&keywords=old+man+on+campus

thanks UGoLong, just ordered it for my husband who left work at as an electrical engineer 3 years ago at the age of 42 to pursue a lifelong dream of medicine, became a paramedic first (was ridiculed in the firehouses for leaving a 6 figure job to start all over), and now starts at the end of May in PA school...he's been a little bit in the dumps figuring out how to move us 14 hours away, take out student loans (used up alot of our savings to do paramedic school and work at a lower income) so I'm hoping your book might be a dinner table read aloud to help us get through the next two months of moving and starting anew...

We started reading your book out loud tonight at dinner. Our 8 year old started out a little bit glum about having a nightly read aloud but she really liked several parts of the first chapter...I think it will help us talk through some of the unspoken issues we have about packing up and leaving behind life as we know it to start this new adventure...thanks for writing it!

It makes me very happy that my book is helping your family with the transition. If it helps bring you some peace -- and some joy at the anticipation of what is ahead -- it was all worth it for me. I wish you the best as you go forward. Please keep me posted!

Hopefully others will benefit as well. Sometimes reading one story about someone else doing something can help.

Barry

old.man.on.campus.book@gmail.com

Looking forward to reading this, thank you for writing it. Incidentally, I went to PA school at 37. One thing I learned in Undergrad was in a Neuroscience class where I chose to write my research paper on Neurogenesis and the Human Brain ... indeed, it happens. The most pertinent cause is *drum roll* learning new information. I always recommend to my older/elderly patients the benefits of picking up a new skill, craft, language, hobby, etc. in the older years. So you're doing very well for yourself, in many ways. Congratulations and best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll have to read this. By the time I'm done with my bachelor's, I'll be 45 years old. I always feel like I'm old enough to be everyone's mom in my pre-req classes! I even had a professor who was younger than me last semester. Yeah, it's hard not to feel old sometimes! I, too, left a good paying job to finally pursue my dream. Going to school full time has really hit the pocketbook, but we're making due for now. I didn't want to spend the last 25 years of my career in a job that paid the bills. I wanted to do something that makes me feel fulfilled!

Archived