Having a friend or self write a script for antihistamine or steroid intranasal spray is one thing. However, you want a script authorizing use of untaxed funds to purchase a "medically necessary" product .... i dunno. I have no moral objection to this provided you need it. However, someone might have a legal objection? A filter could cost hundreds of dollars right ? Maybe you should have someone else authorize it. Does your hospital/inst audit FSA spending ? Would the IRS ever review authorization of these things if you are audited? Maybe I am overthinking this.

FSA drugs and products are federally regulated. It is not up to the insurance company or employer as to what is covered. Here is the official IRS description. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf Upon quick review, I do not see HEPA air filters as eligible expenses. I would imagine it would be an uphill battle trying to convince the IRS otherwise ;)

FSA drugs and products are federally regulated. It is not up to the insurance company or employer as to what is covered. Here is the official IRS description. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf Upon quick review, I do not see HEPA air filters as eligible expenses. I would imagine it would be an uphill battle trying to convince the IRS otherwise ;)

That link has to do with itemized medical deductions for tax purposes. This is NY's FSA website. It doesn't specifically mention air filters, but they are eligible when perscribed for a medical condition.

There are rules about how long a perscription is valid for FSA purposes and each FSA administrator seems to have their own rules (or at least selective enforcement) about that, so be careful.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By hmtpnw
      Hello everyone,
      I am currently in the process of applying to cardiology jobs. I'm finishing up school in NC and applying out here as well, but ideally I'd like to end up back home in the Seattle/Tacoma area after graduating.
      I do have a few leads, including an initial call with a recruiter for one of the larger hospital systems later this week, but I am wondering if there are any cardiology PAs here practicing in the Seattle/Tacoma area who would be willing to share any insight about salary, the different hospital systems, current job market, etc.
    • By Erose
      Hello,
      I am currently residing in Bellingham Washington. I am eager to get some shadowing experience prior to applying to PA school this year. I have received both covid vaccines, and would love to shadow in person. Please let me know if you have any ideas. I have reached out to several PAs in the area and have yet to hear back from anyone. 
      Thank you!
    • By Bloomcailtin
      Hello,
      I'm currently searching for EMPA jobs in the Seattle area. Looking to move in late spring/early summer of 2021 for my boyfriend's job. I've completed a postgrad residency in emergency medicine in an inner city hospital in the midwest. Will have 2 years of experience by time of move, was also an EMT-B for 3 years prior to school. I was wondering if anyone had information on good hospitals/groups to look at or knows of any places hiring!
      Thanks!
      C. Bloom
    • By hlmort11
      Hi All,
      I was wondering if there are any places taking students for rotations starting in Jan 2021? 
      I would love a rotation in San Diego sometime between January and April as my husband is mobilized there with the NH Army National Guard.
      Other areas of geographical interest are the Midwest, New England, Alaska and Hawaii for Jan 2021-Dec 2021. Specifically rotations located in the following places:
      Western SD, Cheyenne, WY, Casper, WY, Western Nebraska, Denver, CO area inc. the foothills, Sioux City, IA, Topeka, KS, Indianapolis, IN, Palmer, AK, Hawaii, Minnesota, NH, VT, ME, and/or MA
      Thank you in advance!!
    • By astarael
      Hi everyone, I have a dilemma. I am a new grad struggling to get a job. I have been offered a neurology, 0.6 FTE, nights position. I interviewed for a full time days position but this was given to someone with experience. This is far from ideal but the hospital told me after 1 year I can qualify to go full time. I may take it as I need to start working and neurology is my top interest. I have a copy of the contract and I don't understand their termination policy. It requires 180 days notice, which is ridiculous, but this is a huge hospital system and they will not budge on any aspect of their contracts. I have included the contract text and want your opinions. What happens if I give less notice? I have no idea how I would line up a second job while giving 180 days notice.

"Term and Termination. 
      (a) Term. Unless earlier terminated in accordance with Subsections 2(b)-(d), this Agreement and Provider's employment shall have an initial term of one (1) year commencing on this ___, 2018, and shall automatically renew for additional consecutive terms of one (1) year. 
      (b) Termination by either party. Either party may terminate this Agreement as follows: 
      (i) By providing at least 180 days prior written notice to the other party. Under this subsection, the Hospital may elect to pay Provider the compensation due him/her during the 180-day notice period in lieu of Provider actually performing work during the notice period, or 
      (ii) If the other party breaches any material term of the Agreement and fails to cure such breach within 30 days after receipt of written notice of the alleged breach, then the non-breaching may terminate the agreement. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More