Sign in to follow this  

salary negotiation

Hello!

I have been working as a derm PA for 3 years now. I worked at the first office for two and a half years. My supervising physician and office manager refused to show any of the mid-levels their "numbers", which was even more outrageous considering the fact that our salaries were productivity based. They paid me only 60k the first year and a half I worked there and increased my pay to 70k for the last 6 months, even though I saw an average of about 35-45 patients a day.

When I checked out the national averages for derm PAs with my level of experience, I was very discouraged. At my current job, I'm seeing an average of 25-30 patients a day and making 80k. I'm afraid that the current office is not busy enough to justify having a PA (I'm the only provider). I spend about 8-9 hours a day at the office so it's not like my schedule is restricting me from seeing more patients.

I'm debating over whether I should stay at the current office or try to find a busier office so that I can pay my student loans.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

• Upvote 1

I am a new grad and just started a derm position at base 85k in the midwest, with about the same patient volume as your current job.

After 3-5 years of experience, I would expect my salary to be higher with my ability to see more patient/day. Did you mean that your current office is not busy enough to hire a MA?

Recent articles that should help

http://www.jaapa.com/a-survey-of-fellow-members-of-the-society-of-dermatology-physician-assistants/article/277877/

http://bmctoday.net/practicaldermatology/2012/08/article.asp?f=the-pa-salary-structures-and-strategies

Are you seeing patients 5 days a week? Do you have a medical assistant? Any overhead expenses?

You should be making a bonus on productivity plus your current base. With 25-30 patients a day, you are bringing in a large sum to the office. All of your figures should be shown to you on a monthly basis.

there are sooo many derm jobs out there paying close to six figures !.... i think you should move esp if you have few yrs of exp !

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Anakm2
      Hi all, can someone please tell me my chances of being invited to an interview or give me suggestions as to what I should do to improve my application? I would really appreciate any input. I’m applying next cycle (2021-2022) thank you in advance!
      Btw I calculated it the way caspa would using ThePAPlatform gpa calculator. 

cGPA: 3:77
      sGPA: 3.3
      ~1400 hrs as a CNA
      ~200 hrs as a behavior therapist (it was cut short due to COVID and I have to move back home hours away)
      I just got offered a job at the front desk at the chiropractic office I’m getting treated at (I recently got in a car accident and couldn’t get my old job back as a CNA) but this would count as HCE! I could potentially do this from May until late Sept and work ~24hrs/week.
      -Medical mission trip over winter break
      -Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society
      - Multiple deans list
      - Chancellor’s award (scholarship) 
      -Tutored children for a semester (~50 hours)
      - Vice President of my pre-pa club, and was an intern for this club before getting accepted to this position. 

- I also plan to rack up more hours once I move back to my university 
      Any feedback is appreciated, thank you!
    • By philosophymedic
      Hi all,
      Summary:
      Has anyone had success reapplying to schools after a mediocre interview? Does the interview rejection hurt my reapplication more than if they'd never interviewed me?
      Details:
      I was granted an interview at a couple programs this cycle and got waitlisted at one, rejected from the other. I love the program I was rejected from and - pending a miracle on that waitlist - I was thinking of reapplying next cycle.
      I wouldn't say I botched the interview; it just wasn't great overall, and I definitely would take a mulligan on one of the questions. But with my lower academic measurables I think I needed to do exceptionally well to get over the top. 
      I'm taking more classes, shadowing more, writing a new personal essay, etc. And working on my interview skills. I do plan on asking the program for specific feedback but haven't done so yet (I just have their generic, "congrats on getting an interview, but try again" rejection email for the moment).
      I'd be extremely grateful to any admissions professionals or faculty willing to weigh in (if any see this).
      Thanks in advance!

• By rnicole
      Hi all!
      I just received an email that I was being extended an interview that was about 3 weeks out from the current date.
      I responded around 4 hours after I received the email to accept the interview, but I received an email a couple hours later that they were going to have to reschedule and that “they would email me when another date opens up”. 
      Has this happened to anyone else??
      Should I be worried? Or do they send out more interview invites than spots that they have open for the day because they know that some people may decline? 
      Thanks!
    • By IsabelC93
      I was wondering if anyone had every considered sending handwritten letters of appreciation after an interview? If so, to whom did you address and send? If not that's totally understandable, I just wasn't sure what the consensus was out in the world. Thank you so much!! 
    • By kdeluca10
      Any tips for upcoming 2019/2020 interviewers and anything we should be looking out for or common/uncommon questions they asked? Interview structure and any resources that helped you be prepared and confident? Just any advice overall on how to have a successful interview for acceptance into MCPHS Boston!!! Thank you!!!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More