Shadowing Opportunities Section

Hello, I am a pre-health student. I'm currently a freshman in college and working towards my BS in Biomedical Engineering. I'm still undecided the direction I want to take my career, so I'm exploring a few options. The only thing I'm sure about is that I want to practice medicine and I want to work with under-served communities. I am interested in learning more about PAs and DOs(nothing against MDs but I'm interested in OMM).

I currently work as a patient cook in a hospital and have talked to a few PA there. I have done a bit of reading and would like to have a chance to shadow a PA, to decide if this is really something I want to pursue. I am located in Los Angeles, California and I'm very willing to travel.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Tom,

I am searching for a volunteer opportunity to do some clinical shadowing in NYC

and was wondering if you could give more detailed information as to how I can go about

securing one of these volunteer opportunities. I am currently applying for the fall 2012 cycle and wanted to shadow a PA in order to improve my credentials.

Thank you for you time and help!

Linda

Hi Tom,

I am searching for a volunteer opportunity to do some clinical shadowing in NYC

and was wondering if you could give more detailed information as to how I can go about

securing one of these volunteer opportunities. I am currently applying for the fall 2012 cycle and wanted to shadow a PA in order to improve my credentials.

Thank you for you time and help!

Linda

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am a B.S. graduate from UCSB looking for a PA to shadow in the Central Los Angeles area or possibly in the South Bay region. If anyone knows of a PA in the city that wouldn't mind sending their contact info to me I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Hello all,

I am a B.S. graduate from UCSB looking for a PA to shadow in the Central Los Angeles area or possibly in the South Bay region. If anyone knows of a PA in the city that wouldn't mind sending their contact info to me I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Hello all,

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone,

Try USC La County PA Helper Program http://keck.usc.edu/en/Education/Academic_Department_and_Divisions/Department_of_Preventive_Medicine/Divisions/Health_Behavior_Research/Education_and_Training/BS_Health_Promotion_and_Disease_Prevention/Opportunities.aspx

CLinical Care Extender Program

By volunteering in hospitals, you will meet PAs/doctors, introduce yourself, show interest let nurses know maybe they can put in good word for you since they work with medical providers everyday. Be courteous & polite, go beyond in your volunteer duties.

I got the opportunity to shadow a PA when I volunteered in the OR, I couldn't find a PA through the phonebook/websites. Plus, some programs allow you to shadow physicians as well. Ask your parents/your own doctor if they can help.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find acquiring shadowing hours to be one of the most difficult requirements in this whole process. I know it's an inconvenience for the practicing PA, but everyone had to do it sometime. I have a few bones out there in Harrisburg PA, if anyone knows a PA in a private practice setting or hospital, let me know. I'm doing a lot of chasing my tail. I promise I will let students shadow me! IT's a frustrating process. GL everyone! :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...