Shadowing Opportunities Section

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm currently a dietitian in Philadelphia. I'm looking into applying to a few PA programs. However, I definitely want to have the experience of shadowing a PA before applying. Please contact me if you would be willing to allow me to work with you or if you know of anyone who is available here in Philadelphia.

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...

For Anyone who is interested in Shadowing a PA in their state here is a piece of advice, contact you state's Association of Physician Assistant and ask for a list of PA's that have volunteered their names and contact information for PA students. Contact a few PAs on the list from your area. Email them questions about the profession. Ask them to lunch. Get to know them.

THEN ask to shadow. And hopefully you will get a PA to shadow.

I recommend contacting more than one PA

GOOD LUCK!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice, Shah! That's a really good point - I've been so worried about finding someone to shadow that I tend to forget to first build rapport.

I did contact the NJSSPA but they said they don't have a list of PAs willing to shadow or anything like that. If I do happen upon a list of PAs in NJ, is it sensible to just try to "cold call" or email them and see if they might have some availability for coffee/lunch? What is the best way of contacting them?

That being said, if there are any PAs in NJ/NYC/PA that are willing to shadow, I would be very appreciative of the help/perspective ;o)

Hi nkechim,

I would recommend cold calling. I googled the term physician assistant and my city, and I called the numbers that came up. I had to do that since the PA association in my area couldn't help me. I ended up shadowing 4 PA's.

Here's a tip: As I started cold calling I realized that some of the receptionists had no idea what I was asking about. Make sure you express that you are a health professions student who wants to observe PA's working. Sometimes saying "shadowing" doesn't get the point across. You could even ask to speak to a nurse or PA directly, but sometimes they don't allow this unless you are a patient, so you have to wait for a call back. If they don't allow shadowing, then you could at least say you have questions about the profession and whether the PA could e-mail or call you for a conversation or if you could get their contact info. If this happens, then ask your questions about the profession and see if they know any PA's willing to be shadowed. If you still can't find anything, then you can try showing up at offices with PA's.

Cold calling can be daunting at first, and you'll get a lot of doors shut in your face. However, if this is what you want to do, then keep at it and stay optimistic. Hopefully, you will find something! Good luck! I'm rooting for all of you! =)

Thanks for the advice, Shah! That's a really good point - I've been so worried about finding someone to shadow that I tend to forget to first build rapport.

I did contact the NJSSPA but they said they don't have a list of PAs willing to shadow or anything like that. If I do happen upon a list of PAs in NJ, is it sensible to just try to "cold call" or email them and see if they might have some availability for coffee/lunch? What is the best way of contacting them?

That being said, if there are any PAs in NJ/NYC/PA that are willing to shadow, I would be very appreciative of the help/perspective ;o)

SMaharaj - thank you so much for those tips. It's extremely helpful. I'll start making a list of places to call ASAP. I work as a recruiter now so I basically spend all day making calls...I know it can be a numbers game with a lot of rejection, but those few yeses are worth it! :O)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Do you know of any PAs in Birmingham, AL that are available for shadowing? I am Pre-PA and wanting to go into dermatology and I am looking for someone during this summer or upcoming fall and spring to shadow. Please let me know if you have any information. Thanks!

-Shivani Parsottm

Can I ask where you found your other shadowing opportunities in the NY metro area? I'm a pre-PA just starting my search now and it's been extremely difficult to find PAs who will allow you to slow them down all day haha. Any tips on hospitals/offices that provide this would be wodnerful.

Thanks so much!

Nikki

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!!

I am looking for opportunities to shadow a PA. I live in the Chicago area - Naperville to be exact. If anyone is interested in taking on a very hard working pre-PA, I am your girl. I have been trying for a long time to get into doctor's offices, hospitals, and other private practices, but it doesn't seem like many people are eager to accept PA's to shadow. I hope that isn't true for everyone. I would really appreciate a chance to work with a PA.

Thanks,

Christine Haselhorst

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am a pre-health student. I'm currently a freshman in college and working towards my BS in Biomedical Engineering. I'm still undecided the direction I want to take my career, so I'm exploring a few options. The only thing I'm sure about is that I want to practice medicine and I want to work with under-served communities. I am interested in learning more about PAs and DOs(nothing against MDs but I'm interested in OMM).

I currently work as a patient cook in a hospital and have talked to a few PA there. I have done a bit of reading and would like to have a chance to shadow a PA, to decide if this is really something I want to pursue. I am located in Los Angeles, California and I'm very willing to travel.