Applying to faraway schools

I find that I meet the minimum requirements for about a third of PA schools. Since I took my pre-requisites at a community college, I have no upper division biology classes, no genetics, no biochemistry, etc. I have 2,500 hours HCE. There are some PA programs I qualify for in my home state of California, and in Oregon. After searching to make sure I meet all the requirements, I find that there are a few other schools in states like Connecticut, Florida and Alabama.

I've never even been to these states. If I apply there what am I going to say to the admissions committees? I can't honestly say I've ever thought of permanently relocating to Alabama, or to anywhere on the eastern side of the U.S. It seems that many schools prefer to train PA's who are planning to work in that state, but perhaps some don't care?

From my experience, none of the schools I applied to had a preference of out of state/ in state. There are some schools who have very specific missions to produce providers for their state or rural area, but I think it would state that on their website. I applied to all out of state schools from my home state of Tennessee. I did get questioned by the committee at some schools but I was honest in saying I wanted to try something new, go to a great program, and do whatever or go wherever it takes to get a great education. That being said, a move fom California to Alabama migh be a huge adjustment so I would definitely check out the city when you go to interview and make sure you would be happy living there.

Archived