Good news for PA in TX ?

Yeah it sounded that way to me too but I read link highlighted as legislation. It read to me like it was good for both PA and NP equally but I am sure the nurse corp is behind it and it sounded like if it wasnt for the Texas Medical board PA's would have been left out. I see it as a money maker for MD's because they will be able to make more money in future in the team concept. The PA's need an organization like nurses pushing this expanded agenda or they will get forgotten in other states I think. But makes sense to me if NP's get it PA's should too. It hasnt passed yet but nurse's have been getting everything they ask for in Texas lately.

Not so fast.... [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]2. Delegation of schedule II medications to PAs working in Hospitals or for patients in Hospice

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So this does NOTHING to help solve our ADHD problem in Primary Care.

Not so fast.... [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: transparent][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]2. Delegation of schedule II medications to PAs working in Hospitals or for patients in Hospice

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So this does NOTHING to help solve our ADHD problem in Primary Care.

it's a stepping stone. TAPA has been doing strong work.

It passed!

Success!!

SB406 went before the Senate and passed. Todd Pickard, LAC Chair, testified on the bill which helped move this bill forward. A link to the testimony is below.

The following summarizes the changes to current law that are included in this bill that represent MAJOR VICTORIES for PAs in Texas:

1. Reduces site-based language from 5 settings to 2 (community and facility-based).
  2. Delegation of schedule II medications to PAs working in Hospitals or for patients in Hospice.
  3. Increases the number of PAs that a physician can delegate prescriptive practice from 4 to 7.
  4. Allows for unlimited delegated prescriptive practice in underserved and rural areas.
  5. Clarifies language that allows for unlimited delegated prescriptive practice at Hospitals.
  6. Removes the limitation for physicians to delegate prescriptive practice only at one Hospital.
  7. Removes distance limitations for physician supervision.
  8. Removes the percentage of charts that a physician must review and co-sign.
  9. Improves PA Board collaboration with the Medical Board and Nursing Board.
  10. Removes requirements for a percentage of hours of operation that a physician must be present at a practice.

The bill has new language regarding quality and patient safety that are NOT new to PAs and are already part of our everyday practice. These include:

1. Regular communication between physicians, APNs and PAs.
  2. Prescriptive Practice Agreements that list the parameters of APN and PA prescriptive authority.
  3. Quality Assurance processes that allow the physician, APN and PA to determine: if chart review is needed; what processes are used to implement improvement in patient care; how emergencies are handled; the general process for referrals; and, indicating alternate supervising physicians in the event the primary supervising physician is unavailable.
  4. Regular face-to-face meetings between physicians, APNs and PAs that take place at least monthly to discuss patient care and practice issues.

TAPA is committed to the continuous improvement for PA practice in Texas. The political process can be challenging and require small steps over many years to reach our goal. You will be hearing more information about these and other legislative issues throughout the 83rd Legislative Session.

Archived