NCLEX question

Nope a PA can not just take the test to be a RN, just like a NP can not just take a test to be a PA.

For the NCLEX-RN you need to graduate from a nursing program. https://www.excelsior.edu/ has a distance learning RN program a PA can do if you really want it. California a PA could probably challenge the NCLEX-LPN if they have 4 months experience in a hospital to get a LVN license.

I could be wrong, but I believe that what makes a new PA who is also an RN (or an EMT or a Radiology Tech or a Lab Tech....etc.) more marketable is the experience attained from being an RN (etc.), not a title from taking a test.

What is the placement rate at the school you are attending?

I guess what your saying is that it would make it easier to find a job if you were both a RN and PA because you could apply to nursing jobs as well as PA jobs. If that is what you mean then yes, you would have more opportunity to work in either field but the fields do not cross over. As a nurse in a hospital setting you would be bound by the nursing standards, you would not be able to function as a PA, only as a nurse. Once you were hired as a PA then you would perform as a PA and not a nurse. So, I guess the answer is you would have more job opportunities but would be bound by the job description you were hired for. For me, personally, having been a RN for the past 17yr and currently in PA school I have no intention of ever working as a nurse again. It's not that I dislike the profession or feel that I'm too good for it now, it's just that for me to go back to nursing after PA school would be a waste of 2 very hard years of education and about $60K in tuition. And for anyone that thinks it's a money issue it's a pay cut for me to be a PA as compared to my last 4yrs as a nurse.

JonQ

Join the airforce as a Medical technician, score in the top of everything, wait 4 to 10 years and be sent to Independent Duty Medical Technician (IDMT) school then get out and you can challenge the nursing test in most states...

or just keep your hand in one cookie jar...

i was in the Marine corps already and was honorably discharged for my knee :( already tried that route but congress said i couldnt reenlist

Archived