HippoPA

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jdenning, I am thinking of getting this. I checked out the free trial (they give you 4 hours free but only had time to check out an hour). I like it. Looks very cool. Wish it was $299 instead of $500 but hey, maybe I can get reimbursed, either way, I think I am going for HippoPA. Those guys are funny and cool. I saw a few of their ER videos on-line and its kind of like a radio talk show in a way. Jdenning are you using any other resources for the PANRE study?

I paid $299 so I guess I got lucky. I ran out of time before doing PANRE to do all the videos and CME questions but I did about a thousand practice questions so that was helpful. I did PANRE last week - still waiting for results. I also went to the 5 day CME resources course and I'm glad I did. The forced review and the practice tests were really helpful. I think Hippo is great and it probably would have worked for me to do by itself if I took a week off work just to do all the lectures etc. No way I would have got it done otherwise between work and kids etc.

Good luck on your PANRE

I'm going for it, not boring.

But do they ever, once in awhile, have a special on their prices? Just in case I don't get reimbursed, $500 is a lot of Starbucks......

Hey Iain1028,

Did you purchase HippoPA?

Do you still like it?

I was interested in HippoPA when it was $300, like many other courses UMDNJ or live course are only $400!

The $500 is a tough pill to swallow....

Are you doing any live review courses?

Im up for my 1st PANRE & want to pick 1

Thanks, Velvet

I'm going for it, not boring.

But do they ever, once in awhile, have a special on their prices? Just in case I don't get reimbursed, $500 is a lot of Starbucks......

Hey Iain1028,

Did you purchase HippoPA?

Do you still like it?

I was interested in HippoPA when it was $300, like many other courses UMDNJ or live course are only $400!

The $500 is a tough pill to swallow....

Are you doing any live review courses?

Im up for my 1st PANRE & want to pick 1

Thanks, Velvet

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Question for some of you guys, like Iain... How do you like the Hippopa.com review? I just got approval from my supervisor (so I can get reimbursed the $500) but before I take the plunge I just wanted a little validation.

Thanks!

Evan

My only problem is that it is all physicians -- at least on their home page. My experience has been that MD's (who have never taken the PANCE/PANRE) can teach medicine really well (some of them), but then I hear incorrect things like "you won't need to review 12-leads since a PA would never be asked to interpret a 12-lead" which is, of course, incorrect. I prefer PAs who have good experience taking the exam multiple times to do the teaching. They do NOT, of course, tell you anything they have seen on the exam, but still have seen it, taken it, know what it feels like to take this incredibly difficult exam, and can direct PAs better. IMHO

i completly agree with JKAZIK.. because in my exam i have couple of EKG's not simple ones.. i can say hard. it is a hard exam no way it is easy. u need to know everything for exam can't leave any topic and go to test.. god knows what they are asking. i review one day before going to test CME's pharm lecture so many meds...which really helped me in test.

• 1 month later...
Is the CME category I or II?

And is it all just based on how many hours you spend on line or watching videos?

I found it suspicious that I couldn't find the answer anywhere on their site when I did my 4 hours trial.

It's CME cat. 1 - they tell you in their intro vid.

CME cat 2 is more like reading journals, teaching etc.

I took both the 5 day CME review course, and then I purchased Hippo PA. Both of these helped me pass the PANRE. The PAs at CME recources really hlep point out areas that you just have to know for the test. However, you then go home and have a large book staring you in the face and are studying for the PANRE. That is where Hippo PA comes in to help. Just sit listen to the lectures and after hearing reading materials over nad over again this sinks in to your memory and you will do fine. Was so happy to hear that I scored in the 500s and Passed my PANRE . Joanne PAC

• 2 weeks later...

**My experience**:

I graduated UF 5 years ago so Panre is pending. 

I have been working in cardiology. 

I bought a membership about 2 months ago. 

The lectures are generally good. Most presenters obviously have a firm understanding of their topic and they are able to present a summary in a cohesive manner that helps you understand it. There is one guy in particular though they seem to plug into a topic when they have no one else to address it. He obviously just put his presentations together by just reading a panre study guide. (Seriously: in a few lectures he's nearly word for word what I have in my Lippincott guide).

A 15 minute lecture will take me about 30 minutes to watch as I regularly stop to look up other information or check a book or 2. 

The presenters so far are all MDs, but they have obviously looked at what is required by the Pancre/panre and seem to hit an appropriate complexity level. (not including the before mentioned stopgap MD)

Is it worth it?

In terms of cost, considering I can get all of my CME credits through Hippopa and I can do this on my own schedule, I feel it is worth it.

I have never gone to a review course, but I feel the ability to pause whenever I want to (in order to look up something) is what makes this valuable. 

So far it is a very nice convenience. If money were tight I could definitely do this on my own (by going through my Lippincott review book and using internet sources), but it would require a bit more will power.

Since I am working slightly more than full time,  . . .sometime willpower is a little hard to muster. 

I'll add more after my PANRE. 

Addendum:

I passed the Panre.

In the final weeks leading up to the test, I basically stopped using the site's lectures and mainly used it as a source of test questions. Their questions were decent, lacking some of the more complex structured questions on the Panre, but making up for that with sheer number and convenience. 

I contacted them to complain that one of their lecturers ( Dr Roger's ) is reading straight out of the Lippincott guide, and they said they were planning on refilming several of his lectures. 

Overall: money well spend since it made it so convenient that immersed myself in the material earlier than I otherwise might have, and I attained 50 CME's studying something that I would have been studying anyway.

• 2 months later...

Archived