Changes to Scope of Practice

I inquired and was sent the following email this morning:

I was not sure if anyone contacted you or not.* The meeting went well.* I think we have got their attention.* We had a CVT physician from Lafayette and both his PAs give real scenarios of where this proposed rule change would not work.* They have agreed to postpone posting the changes in the Louisiana Register and we are working on a compromise to be discussed at the January 10th LSBME meeting.* Information regarding this should be sent out in an e-mail blast to LA PA's and posted on the web later today or tomorrow.* Thank you for your interest.

Marla Moore, PA-C

LAPA President

Yeah, I just got that email yesterday and meant to post it (but I'm focused on finals). I was glad to hear that a doctor was in there talking about how impractical this all is. I wonder why none of the hospitals are weighing in here. I think Ochsner (which may be the biggest hospital group in LA; it certainly is in south LA) also employs more PAs than other hospitals. It seems, in the context of LA, to be vague PA friendly. Why would they not go against this proposal? If it were to pass, all the PAs they have working in surgery and some other areas will suddenly be *worth less*, not to mention that it puts more work on docs to supervise more directly etc. But this is good news so far!

Archived