For anyone interested in the PA MPH program, I started a blog about my experiences as a PA MPH student (I am currently in my second semester). I really enjoyed reading PA student blogs when I was applying to PA schools I felt they gave a perspective into a program you really couldn't find elsewhere. However, I didn't find any pertaining to any PA MPH programs, so I started my own.

Maybe you'll it useful if you're considering applying for, or accepting a spot in a dual degree program. The URL is included in my signature below.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, the beauty of having an MPH and a PA degree is that you will have a little more flexibility with what you do than with a PA alone. While PAs have the horizontal flexibility that enables them to move from one specialty to another, a PA/MPH has an entire other dimension of career possibilities in the Public Health world. And the Public Health world, as it turns out, is HUGE. It's difficult to define because it's so broad; it encompasses anything from injury prevention, to environmental disasters, to disease outbreaks, to health promotion and education in a community, to dentistry, and so on and so forth. This is the reason why we have several tracks to choose from with our MPH (I am in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, for example).

As a Public Health Professional with CLINICAL expertise, you are an extremely valuable commodity in the Public Health realm in terms of what clinicians do and how they think, and also in research, policy, and education.

As a PA with PUBLIC HEALTH expertise you will be better equipped to impact the communities you serve on a larger scale in terms of health education, health promotion, health interventions, health policy changes, or epidemiology (population health studies).

Here is a post I wrote last June about this topic:

http://www.memothepa.com/2010/06/so-about-that-mph.html

Also, I encourage you read this thread on MD/MPH, read the second post by Heal&Teach.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-134791.html

• 6 months later...

GWs PA/MPH program definitely caught my eye, especially since I plan on working with the National Health Service Corps afterward. Attending their information session in April cemented my interest and I have not seen another program like it! Having the MPH will be helpful when I start working with underprivileged populations and there are several NHSC ambassadors at GW too so it seems like a match.

I plan on applying next year and any feedback on how I can be a more competitive applicant would be greatly appreciated.

• 7 months later...

Thanks so much for the info Memo! Yalatrac, I'm in the same position as you--I'd love to do the National Health Service Corps. I was a Peace Corps Health Extension volunteer in a Spanish speaking village in Belize and have a premed degree. The dual MPH/PA program sounds awesome! I'm hoping to go to the info meeting this April. If your applying this year, we might get to meet each other Yalatrac. That would be awesome. Thanks again and good luck to you all! Blessings,

Owen

Thanks so much for the info Memo! Yalatrac, I'm in the same position as you--I'd love to do the National Health Service Corps. I was a Peace Corps Health Extension volunteer in a Spanish speaking village in Belize and have a premed degree. The dual MPH/PA program sounds awesome! I'm hoping to go to the info meeting this April. If your applying this year, we might get to meet each other Yalatrac. That would be awesome. Thanks again and good luck to you all! Blessings,

Owen

Archived