USC VS Loma Linda - Comparison

Hello,

I'm looking at both USC and Loma Linda. I'm interested in comparing between the two. Anyone see any significant advantages to one school over another? Does USC really provide the networking connects to help its PA alumni get jobs? During the interview, the panel lead by a USC Alumni said USC didn't help her get a job or do anything after she graduated. Is the $50k+ more in loans worth it for USC?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi there,

It makes me sad that the alum said what they did in the panel at the interview, but in all reality it's probably true. USC, to the best of my knowledge, does not directly help you find work post-graduation. However, I have not heard of any school really offering that, and I have friends at PA schools around the country.

To compare Loma Linda with USC is difficult, as I do not attend Loma Linda. I have known graduates of that program, and they seem to be well-trained. Their program is shorter than ours, and yes, that will save you money. In contrast, it might be more stressful...though we still work hard, we are still pretty relaxed at USC. The other aspect of the curriculum you should look at is the clinical rotations...what does Loma Linda offer that you like and what does USC offer that you like? At USC we are primary care-focused, and we have some of the longest clinical rotations (if not the longest) in the nation...which I am very much appreciating right now. It takes a few weeks to get the lay of the land, and then you can really soar at your site for the remaining couple weeks.

Finally, while USC may not directly offer job placement, our alumni network is known nation-wide as one of the best. Once you are a part of the Trojan family, you are a member for life.

Obviously I am going to be pro-USC because I'm a current student, so take my input with a grain of salt. The most important thing you do is compare and contrast the two programs based off of what YOU want out of your education. What is important to you? You need to find the program that best fits you, not choose based off of everyone else's opinions. Trust your gut.

Hope that helps.

John

Hello johwaite81,

Thank you for your response and advice. That’s what I meant about USC helping it’s PA with a job, I meant to say the networking connection that is present among the Trojan family.

I guess the biggest drawback for me right now is the extra year at USC. Are you in your 2nd or 3rd year? How do you currently feel about that extra year? Do you mind it? I guess my biggest fear is finishing up my second year and wishing I would’ve done a 2 year program instead.

During my interview at USC, I felt very welcomed by all the staff, faculty, and students. I really enjoyed the environment. I know I would enjoy being a part of the PA program there.

Hello again,

You are absolutely welcome for the response and advice! Anything I can do to help!

To answer your question as to where I am in my education, I'm in my second year. I am finishing up my first rotation today (ER) and then starting my second one (women's health) on Monday. And let me tell you, I am SO glad we get longer rotations! ER is a pretty intimidating rotation to have first, but as I exit I feel A LOT better about it. Having that extra time in the rotation allowed me to feel a lot more comfortable and autonomous, and my preceptors have been amazing throughout the entire learning experience!

As far as how I feel about the extra year, I really wanted a longer program to begin with. I really like how USC gives us that summer break to recuperate from the first year because I felt both physically and mentally exhausted. The way they approach their curriculum is extremely smart, and by the time you're in the 3rd semester you're ready for rotations. Then, when rotations come, while you're totally thinking you know nothing, somehow you remember things...and I have to attribute that to how well they prepare you...and part of that is by taking their time to teach.

There are always going to be some people who wish they had gone to a 2-year program, but the vast majority of us are extremely happy we chose USC and that it is 3 years.

And I'll reiiterate that my friends at other programs are often WAY more stressed out than we are. Although we study a lot, we also make time for community service and for hanging out together. Work hard, play hard :)

Any more questions let me know!

• 5 months later...

Archived