Application cycle for the fall of 2013!!

Has anyone applied to this school for the PA program if so can you please tell me little bit about the process bc I am coming from another state and I have been having some issues with the admission where they are not evaluating my transcripts yet and I do not know why...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to apply to both the CUNY for Fall 2013 (as a transfer or second degree student) and also a separate application to the PA program which is due at the end of Feb. Regarding transcripts get them unofficially evaluated by the PA program department but also eventually officially evaluated by the registrar. Unfortunately for you, that is going to be difficult out of state as most of the time the phone goes unanswered in the registrars office and they don't answer emails. PM me if you need more info. I'm in the class of 3013 graduating August 1st.

Has anyone applied to this school for the PA program if so can you please tell me little bit about the process bc I am coming from another state and I have been having some issues with the admission where they are not evaluating my transcripts yet and I do not know why...

Hi! I'm also an out of state applicant and it was really difficult dealing with the difficulty of contacting the school. My transcripts are finally being evaluated and I hope to get them back by the beginning of next week since the deadline is coming up. If you have questions I encourage you to email tenesha rather than call because I feel like she always wants to hang up the phone right away. If you email you'll hopefully recieve a more thorough response. I hope that helps! Good luck to you!

You need to apply to both the CUNY for Fall 2013 (as a transfer or second degree student) and also a separate application to the PA program which is due at the end of Feb. Regarding transcripts get them unofficially evaluated by the PA program department but also eventually officially evaluated by the registrar. Unfortunately for you, that is going to be difficult out of state as most of the time the phone goes unanswered in the registrars office and they don't answer emails. PM me if you need more info. I'm in the class of 3013 graduating August 1st.

Congrats on graduating! =) would you mind sharing your insight on the whole admissions process/program? What was the York student/transfer student ratio of your class since its a bachelors program? Are there key attributes (or things they prefer) which make candidates stronger for admission/or an interview? Was your interview with Tenesha? Any other info you can share would be super helpful!! =)

Oops sorry that should says 2013 obviously not 3013. Anyways we aren't done until August so not graduated yet, I am in my 5th rotation and still have 4 more clinical rotations. The admissions process is difficult, I'm not going to lie. Not so much for the program but to the school in general. I think its more difficult if you are entering as a 2nd degree student because the registrar may pick and choose which 73 credits they transfer in and may not count a higher level course towards the prereqs.

Example, since I already have a BS and MA degree, being a second degree student I had both a 300 and 400 level psych classes that they wouldn't count as credit for a Psych 101/intro to psych class because it wasn't the same "description" and also because my previous undergraduate science classes were taken in a bachelor program that ran on trimesters and not semesters they didn't properly transfer over the number of credits necessary for CHEM labs. And they couldn't probably evaluate my master's level classes from a MA degree in physiology because it was not at the bachelor level. So the CUNY system is a bit of a nightmare. So to resolve all of that, I had to do a lot of emailing and calling the specific CHEM and PSYCH departments to get waivers for basic classes.

I think about half our class just had the science pre reqs without a prior BS degree, the other half had BS degrees, I was the only one with an MA and then we have two Indian FMGs. Obviously to get an interview you need to look good on paper and meet the pre reqs/health care experience. To get a seat you need to look good on paper, interview well, be knowledgeable about the PA practice in New York State/City and seem like an adaptable person who has a high exposure to diversity. Most of my class was not born in the USA or if they were, they are the first generation immigrants. I think maybe 3 of us are only native US and I'm the only one who didn't grow up in NYC. Obviously being bilingual or multiligual is an advantage, esp when many of your rotations are in community hospitals with patients that speak spanish, russian, bengali, mandrin, etc. But that's not a necessity, you either use the translator phone or you just have a provider who does see that particular patient.

And no Tenesha is not faculty, she is administrative and helps applicants with the initial screening process, the interviews are with two faculty members.

Hope that helps!

bad costumer service. they make you call other departments regarding your application and when you call or email no one replays back. I don't know what to do anymore. I have a bs degree and a minor now apparently they are not counting or giving me credits for few classes and don't know why this is a big headache. I don't know what else to do I gave up on fallowing my application process.....

bad costumer service. they make you call other departments regarding your application and when you call or email no one replays back. I don't know what to do anymore. I have a bs degree and a minor now apparently they are not counting or giving me credits for few classes and don't know why this is a big headache. I don't know what else to do I gave up on fallowing my application process.....

i complety warrant your frustration... I feel the same way! I sent in my transcripts to be evaluated in early February and I still haven't heard back from Tenesha in regards to if everything transferred! Did you all get a call? (I live in Chicago so there's no way I can meet with an adviser and all that but she said she'd call and it's been 20 days!) Im afraid fhat I simply won't get called and rejected for not having the correct credit or something. Atleast your being given the chance to get your credits sorted out with the departments at York.

Is there anyone other than Tenesha that we can speak to regarding our applications? She's always so agitated and wants to hang up as soon as I call! I'm unable to get all my questions answered. And it makes it so much harder since I can't just come into the school and have my questions answered face to face. =(

Thanks for the update! Congrats to you for the interview! If you don't mind sharing, who was it that reached out to you, Tenesha herself? Also, did you ever reach out to the department chair? If so, in regards to what? I'd like to reach out to her but I don't know if that would be useful since the application has already been submitted and my concern is in regards to the transcript evaluation not being discussed with me (and the fact that I'm from out of town). I have no idea where I stand in terms of my classes transferring over because Tenesha wouldn't discuss it with me!

I got called for interview yesterday. @gjimi dont give up.Try emailing Dr Emily Davinson, she is the dept Chair. I wish good new for everyone

Archived