Concerns about ADHD practices and amphetamine addiction

The article was interesting. Agreed it points out a number of concerning issues about careless prescribing. However, the way those psychiatrists names and notes were published left me a bit uneasy. Their careers are significantly damaged. Did they necessarily do that much wrong ? Aren't they following the standard of care these days ? Not sure how I feel about all this. Would love if people could comment on this fact as well

I found their practices irresponsible as I read the article, especially in light of the concerns from the parents. Didn't these Doctors understand drug seeking behavior and addiction? Even more relevant is the neurophysiology involved. These aren't children. In the last page the irresponsibility becomes downright ineptness with the panel 'experts' even denying the abuse dangers outright. I myself have taken two adult new patients off Adderall in the last week, who were nothing other than tweaking hard in front of me. I weaned them over 5 days with a beginning catch of Ritalin on the 5th day. That's only to give them a bit of false hope, because from there it's Strattera or one of the other non-stimulant options. One of them was even on an additional three Klonopins a day, for "anxiety". Ya think??

This is a really interesting thread...mainly beacuse I am a pre-PA...and on adderrall, have been since 2005. Sad to say, I know for a fact I am addicted to it. i'd love nothing more than to ween myself off of it, but with full-time work and classes to get into PA schools, that's a tough tradeoff. I'm also scared to death what's gonna happen to me later in life...are my adrenals gonna be basically shot? I I've also read studies and heard first hand accounts working in a cardiologists office the dangers of methamphetamine users destroying their heart valves...scary as hell to wonder if dextroamphetamine can act that way as well. But where to draw the line I wonder

You know, I don't know you or the details of your situation, but there are sometimes allowances for students in similar situations, i.e. extended test time. If you have trouble focusing, it would be much better for you to have a thorough psychological evaluation and take it slow than to continue on stimulant medications for study or work purposes. You would likely run into much interference in school and employment afterwards anyways.

Oh no I've been well tested, see my doc regularly to make sure no status changes, never take more than my recommended dose (which is the XR and relatively low dose, considering the mg taken in the story) . I guess, "addicted" is perhaps a strong word...maybe more along the lines of I've become used to it as a positive influence. It's just sometimes frightening that, although I do have ADD (my mom wanted me to get tested from age 6, I finally agreed when I was 17) and the adderall has helped tremendously, what else could it be doing to me that I don't know about?

Archived