How old were you when you entered PA school? Avg age of students in your program?

I'm currently a rad tech student. I made the choice to make a career change somewhat late at 36 years old. I'll be finished with my schooling next year, but always have an eye towards the future.

I very much enjoy working in Diagnostic Radiology, but know I'll eventually want to expand my scope of practice to either become a RPA or PA. The idea of being a PA is a bit more intriguing to me than committing my entire life to Radiologic Sciences.

I have a Bachelors from a previous career in case anyone was wondering.

I'm just wondering if I'll be the old geezer in the room if I enter PA school at around 40 years of age.

I graduated at 39. I was the second oldest person in my class. Most students were in their mid-20s with a few others in their early to mid 30s. Don't care about what other people think and it doesn't matter if you are the old geezer in the room. The younger students can benefit from your life experience at the very least and you can benefit from their vitality.

Don't be concerned. Plenty of people in their 40s in PA school. In fact some people prefer to be friends with them because they they take school seriously and are very good students (and people!).

I start PA school this year and right after my 30th bday. All the schools I interviewed with were similar--lots right out of college, lots like me (2nd careerists in mid-late 20s), and then a little bit of folks in mid-late 30s, early 40s. Didn't notice much older than that at my 4 school interviews. Average seems to be mid 20s from my experience. Like others have said before, who cares. Age is just a number and with the advent of good food science, exercise, and plastic surgery who knows how old everyone is nowadays--just kidding :) Passion=Desire=Who Cares About the Details=Go For It!

Archived