What are my chances?

Brand new to the forum. I was very disheartened about reading about students who had incredible stats, but not get in. My stats are as follows: 3.4 GPA 3.55 Science GPA. I'm currently a Junior in an undergrad university and am deciding to take the GRE this summer. I was wondering if I had a chance at any NY/NJ PA schools (where I live, don't wanna leave). Any light at the end of the tunnel?

I am not sure what is the major factor for you don't want to leave. Do not limit to certain location when applying to grad schools because you never know your chances are and what school will fit you the most. Close to home and loved ones is very nice, but you also know that those people with incredible stat are willing to go anywhere for interview hoping to get a spot. Don't make the locations stand in your ways pursuing your dreams.

can you imagine if people applying to medical school had the gall to say they didn't want to leave where they were living ... sorry, it sounds atrocious. my advice would be to reconsider your career choice to the nth degree. make sure what you choose to do for the rest of your life is something you'll be passionate about.

can you imagine if people applying to medical school had the gall to say they didn't want to leave where they were living ... sorry, it sounds atrocious. my advice would be to reconsider your career choice to the nth degree. make sure what you choose to do for the rest of your life is something you'll be passionate about.

A little over dramatic, don't ya think? What's wrong with wanting to stay local? Personally I only applied to programs in either my immediate area or places in the country I had lived previously. I mananaged to find a seat first round; it can be done. I'm sure there are plenty of med students who are geographically limited in where they can attend school.

Wow...so being willing to only relocate my family within my home state is atrocious? If it were just me, or even me and my husband, it would be different, but I kind of need to plan a little bit. I know I want to be a PA, but really? Open myself up to the country or I'm not serious about it?

your GPA is competitive enough but how about HCE? also depend on your PS and LOR. A lot of factors but with that GPA, i think you should be ok. I am from south NJ, got interview in UMDNJ and Mercy and touro, Drexel for the area you want ( NY/NJ/PA), waitlisted and rejected and will attend school in Maine. You still have time to work on your HCE so you will be fine.

Dreamer, the only thing about your HCE is that it's volunteer. This is not a bad thing, but there are a few programs that specify PAID HCE. They won't accept volunteer hours. Just contact the schools that you are interested in and make sure your HCE is fine with them. We all have to find programs that fit us and our situations. They are not one-size-fits-all.

As others have said, your GPA seems competitive enough. If your GRE goes well, and your PS and LOR are good, you'll be competitive for most programs. There is a part of this forum under Pre-PA where you can post your PS for critique.

I understand being geographically limited. Fair warning, though: you may have to either expand your geographical area or be prepared for the possibility of having to apply several times to get the school of your choice. Theoretically, the more schools to which you apply, the higher your possibility of getting selected in your first application cycle. But, for some of us, other obligations limit our choices. It's a decision you'll need to make based on your unique situation. Best of luck to you!

Archived