Hpsp?

I recently interviewed and was offered a spot this fall, but really need financial assistance. I know a lot of the faculty and several students have/had military experience... just wondering if anyone has more information on the HPSP with the Air Force?

I was set on NHSC but recently came across the option to do HPSP with the Air Force and a co-worker of mine who is an RN with the Air Force suggested I look into it further.

My main concern is about "active duty" after graduation... what are the chances of a PA in the AF being deployed overseas or assigned to an Army or Navy deployment? They say there is a 3 year active duty committment in exchange for 2 years of PA school payment.

Also, does anyone know if there are similar scholarship programs for the Reserves?

Any additional info would be great, it is hard to pin down this stuff when searching the web.

Thanks!

If the military pays for your school in any way, you will deploy. Air Force deployments are pretty benign compared to Navy and way better than army deployments.

There are some ways to get a little money from reserve, but not worth it IMO when compared to having everything paid for on the active duty side

Now, there is the option to choose (if a billet is available) an overseas duty station (rota Spain, Okinawa Japan, ect) where you will not deploy.

Also of note, the Air Force is much more competitive than Navy. 2 of us have navy scholarships. One guy applied for AF and got wait listed (meaning accepted but no spot available)

thanks... what is the option for AF reserve? I'd still like to look into it...

and outside of HPSPs and NHSC, do you know of any other scholarship programs to help with tuition?

Sign up after graduation and get a sign on bonus. Not much else in the reserves. The ones you listed, plus the HSCP/HPSP in the navy are best.

It depends on what you are looking for: money now while in school or is it payback that bothers you and loan repayment would suffice?

Well, I'd like to not have to worry about loans while in school, but I guess loan repayment would be great too. Those LRP are competitive and limited as well though.

I am interested in working in the military after graduation as a means of gaining experience as a PA - but I won't lie, I'm not looking to be deployed to a war zone. I'm not sure if there is really a way for someone like me in that regard to serve our country as a PA but I am trying to learn about my options.

Thanks for your help

Who wouldn't?

USPHS is a branch where you could serve and not deploy (could be on a research vessel, prison, reservation, ect), or VA where you could still be a civilian. All qualify for public service loan forgiveness, which is an awesome deal. Doesn't give you any more money to live on now, but makes payments very affordable and forgives all loan debt balance after 120 (10 years) payments. Any non-profit institution should qualify, but I know gov't service does.

sorry to butt in, just a side note - I was also looking into HPSP/HPCP through the Navy and began the application process a few months ago, however the medical recruiter I was working with mentioned that due to budget cuts the HPSP may be discontinued very soon, leaving only the HPCP option. Not sure if this is accurate or solely for the Navy; Army/Airforce may be unaffected but considering that the budget is federal, it might span all of the branches. Just a thought.

Yeah, I know about the USPHS but they have a hold on new applicants unless you are a MD or DMD... no one knows when it is going to open up again (I called).

I wish I were more interested in the military, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't know if I would be cut out for it. More power to those who are though, I bet it is an incredible learning experience.

In case anyone is interested, if you are a PA-C with an MPH you can apply for a postgraduate training program with the CDC Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) for 2 years which does some really awesome stuff. It has a strong public health focus, very cool. Pay ranges from $65-90k/year depending on qualifications. Haven't seen anything about loan repayment though...

sorry to butt in, just a side note - I was also looking into HPSP/HPCP through the Navy and began the application process a few months ago, however the medical recruiter I was working with mentioned that due to budget cuts the HPSP may be discontinued very soon, leaving only the HPCP option. Not sure if this is accurate or solely for the Navy; Army/Airforce may be unaffected but considering that the budget is federal, it might span all of the branches. Just a thought.

It's already practically gone. I applied for both HSCP and the HPSP slots were moved to 0. I can all but guarantee it will be the same this year in the face of possible sequestration and budget cuts. HSCP is nice though. Much better for families than HPSP and people who need more spending money in school.

Archived