Week On Week Off Schedule

Hello. I wanted to know if any of you work 7 days in a row doing 12 hour shifts followed by 7 days off. If so, do you like it or do you prefer fewer days in a row? Any feedback as to why or why not would be greatly appreciated. Currently I along with another associate provider both cover Monday through Friday doing 8 hour shifts. We are pushing for this "extended shift" in our MICU but still trying to get approval from administration.

I may be assuming incorrectly that you are not at a teaching hospital? Otherwise rounds lasting 4-5 hours would leave minimal time for other duties. Please correct me if I am wrong.

7 consecutive 12 hour shifts sounds... at least tough on the personal/family commitments (besides the fatigue).

Also would be interested to hear from other people who work in intensive care settings what hours/shift schedules they have.

I work 3x12s, Wed/Thurs/Fri with no overnights or weekends.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I've got a local group that seems to not infrequently have a 12 hour, 7 on/7 off position pop open (last time they specified it was 7p-7a).  Salary is $100K with PVU.  Sounds awful low to me compared to a 7a-4p, M-F job w/o call or holiday coverage that paid about $5K more.  Makes me wonder if they're hiring folks that quickly realize that they're in over their head, decide that it isn't their cup of tea, or don't get adequate training/supervision?

Archived