Request for insight about MDC vs. other PA programs

Good afternoon all, I'm hoping someone might be able to share some insights into the program at MDC; I'm currently in my last year of my bachelor's degree, but to be honest, I'm bored and unmotivated to continue in education as it wasn't my choice, but was made for me by the VA. Anyhow, I'm 44 and looking to return to healthcare as I've worked in EMS on multiple occasions as well as having worked with families and medical staff that were involved in tissue donation. So here's my question(s).

1) Is there really any difference between a MS or AS in physician assistant studies? I understand the concept that it looks better in the long run to have an MS, but I'm not that young that I need to worry about the long run for a career.

2) What are the advantages to applying to MDC vs. other PA programs in the area?

3) How long is the wait list for the PA program?

4) Any tips you can provide or things to be considered are appreciated.

Just to comment on question #1. Getting a MS does matter regardless of age because it may soon become a requirement for many jobs as by 2020 a MS degree will be mandatory for every program to offer in the US. For PAs who already have substantial experience this could be waived, but as a new PA with an A.S. it could make finding jobs more difficult, particularly if you are looking to work in a hospital. Also, for question #3, PA programs in general do not have wait lists in the sense that you apply and then just have to wait until your number comes up (whenever that may be) to get in. There are often wait lists associated with ea ch cycle (i.e. you apply in 2012 and you may get on the waitlist for that cycle, but if you do not ultimately get accepted that cycle, you usually do not remain on the wait list), but most programs do not offer a running waitlist from year to year.

Archived