Accepted students

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been over a month since I have sent in my deposit. Once it was sent in I was given information on setting up mu account through SMU. It is similar to a student portal and includes items such as e-mail, financial aid, registration and schedules. There has not been any activity on there though. I have been assuming I won't hear much until they have the class decided. As far as I know, there is no facebook group yet but it would be a nice way to get to know people before school starts.

• 2 weeks later...
I am in the middle of choosing between Samuel Meritt and Stanford!!! Any insight?????

First of all, congrats on both of your acceptances! Now on to advice. From all the shadowing I've done, the most important factor is passing your certification exam. If you don't pass, you can't practice. SMU has one of the highest PANCE pass rate for 1st time takers vs. Stanford, which is much lower compared to SMU. From an outside POV, it really shows that SMU must be doing something right. Here's a quick look for stats...

SMU: http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/physician_assistant

Stanford: http://pcap.stanford.edu/program/pance.html

Of course you want to take into account course structure / integration between pharmacology & phys, anatomy / cadaver lab, geographic location, amount of electives offered etc... but I'm sure you're already looking into that.

In the end, I feel majority of the people recognize with the prestigious name of Stanford, so on paper, you would definitely stick out. But from the PAs I've shadowed, 2 of which graduated from SMU and has a job in Dermatology and Neurosurgery (in Hawaii). Both great jobs if you ask me... So even though in the job market SMU may not be recognized, what really matters is 1) passing your test and 2) what electives you've taken to prove you have experience in that particular field.

It's a tough decision to make, but I know you'll choose the program that is the right fit for you. I hope you will find find my advice somewhat helpful! (p.s I will be attending SMU this fall, so my advice is from a pre-PA perspective).

I am in the middle of choosing between Samuel Meritt and Stanford!!! Any insight?????

First of all, congrats on both of your acceptances! Now on to advice. From all the shadowing I've done, the most important factor is passing your certification exam. If you don't pass, you can't practice. SMU has one of the highest PANCE pass rate for 1st time takers vs. Stanford, which is much lower compared to SMU. From an outside POV, it really shows that SMU must be doing something right. Here's a quick look for stats...

SMU: http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/physician_assistant

Stanford: http://pcap.stanford.edu/program/pance.html

Of course you want to take into account course structure / integration between pharmacology & phys, anatomy / cadaver lab, geographic location, amount of electives offered etc... but I'm sure you're already looking into that.

In the end, I feel majority of the people recognize with the prestigious name of Stanford, so on paper, you would definitely stick out. But from the PAs I've shadowed, 2 of which graduated from SMU and has a job in Dermatology and Neurosurgery (in Hawaii). Both great jobs if you ask me... So even though in the job market SMU may not be recognized, what really matters is 1) passing your test and 2) what electives you've taken to prove you have experience in that particular field.

It's a tough decision to make, but I know you'll choose the program that is the right fit for you. I hope you will find find my advice somewhat helpful! (p.s I will be attending SMU this fall, so my advice is from a pre-PA perspective).

@Sunada46 excellent reasons, I am on the fence between UMDNJ/Rutgers and SMU, but I am highly leaning towards SMU since it is so close to home and I have been told by countless of PAs and PA students that the program produces excellent and top notch PAs.

Also, does anybody know when SMU will post their results for PANCE 2012? I know most programs already posted their results. Any info will be great. Thanks!

@Sunada46 excellent reasons, I am on the fence between UMDNJ/Rutgers and SMU, but I am highly leaning towards SMU since it is so close to home and I have been told by countless of PAs and PA students that the program produces excellent and top notch PAs.

Also, does anybody know when SMU will post their results for PANCE 2012? I know most programs already posted their results. Any info will be great. Thanks!

Archived