Okay, Vicodin class 2. CIGARETTES Schedule 3???

Good grief! Can you imagine the amount of money we could make if this passed, and CMS and insurance companies reimbursed us for writing prescriptions for cigarettes? Next will be making alcohol a controlled substance and needs a prescription for drinking as well! I can see it now...tobacco and alcohol clinics set up with cash payments. There is way too much government people voted into office who think controlling humans has to be done through legislation and take away our free will.

I'll stick with Duck Dynasty...one of my favorite reality shows. I have a poster of them on my file cabinet at work and my colleagues don't get the caption. It's about having freedom to pee outdoors without government intervention.

OOooooohhhffff...As if Oregon Health Plan, Social Security Medical Benefits, and every other tax supported insurance system isn't already paying enough in frivolous office visits..now they would get to pay for office visits for cigarettes...I am not sure I could keep a straight face if someone asked me for a script for their smokes.

I didn't read the article but I recently flipped past a headline that mentioned the ACA having a mention that smokers are going to have a harder time getting insurance coverage than non smokers. By making smokes prescription only, it could identify those using tobacco more readily....or just set up an awesome black market. Bootleggers would be back, just with a lighter cargo.

One of the ironic twists is that I expect pot to be legal here in the next few years. Mary Jane from illegal to legal, cigarettes go from commercially promoted to outlawed. I suppose tobacco farmers know what to plant in their former tobacco fields.

I seriously doubt this will gain any traction and go anywhere AND it's a waste of time to even bring it up in the legislation session. But on the upside, at least a politician is actually going after something that does indeed kill ten's of thousands of people a year.

....and why would a doc/PA/NP prescribe something with zero documented health benefit and strong causal link to CA?

No doc/PA/NP would prescribe tobacco unless they are a quack. You didn't think we were serious, did you? I was being facetious.

....and why would a doc/PA/NP prescribe something with zero documented health benefit and strong causal link to CA?

the same reason that docs/pa/np hand out narcs like candy --- $$$$$$$

Do you really think that the providers who work in medical marijuana clinics in Cali are actually doing a bona fide medical assessment and risk/benefit calculation? Hell no. They give everybody who walks in the door a script.....er "recommendation" for marijuana. Thats what keeps the paying customers coming back for more.

the same reason that docs/pa/np hand out narcs like candy --- $$$$$$$

Do you really think that the providers who work in medical marijuana clinics in Cali are actually doing a bona fide medical assessment and risk/benefit calculation? Hell no. They give everybody who walks in the door a script.....er "recommendation" for marijuana. Thats what keeps the paying customers coming back for more.

big difference between an herb that grows naturally and synthesized narcotics on the physical dependence scale alone ... and i don't remember reading that narcotics may have uses with autism, epilepsy, cancer, pain, loss of appetite and insomnia to name a few. of course there's always the issue of respiratory depression ... can't remember reading that being a side effect of marijuana. not saying there hasn't been or isn't an issue there, just in comparison. heck in washington and colorado it doesn't even matter anymore. i hope good comes of it. good comes from pain control with narcotics also, but it's a whole different ballgame in my book.

A few months ago I ended up doing a 10,000 dollar workup on a 90 yr old for ALOC who had just helped herself to a few brownies on the counter....:)

the + uds started the discussion...and resulted in a confession from the family that the brownies (unbeknownst to grandma) were recreational...of course this was after the CT, lab work, etc

today was day 1 of my cardiology rotation..had a 75 yo ask me to step out of the exam room as he wanted talk to the doc in private. I assumed it was a request for erectile drugs but no, doc later told me that the pt wanted med. Mary Jane but wanted to keep it secret. Needless to say the pt left mildly disappointed.

today was day 1 of my cardiology rotation..had a 75 yo ask me to step out of the exam room as he wanted talk to the doc in private. I assumed it was a request for erectile drugs but no, doc later told me that the pt wanted med. Mary Jane but wanted to keep it secret. Needless to say the pt left mildly disappointed.

Sounds like he just had his last dance with Mary Jane, no more times to ease the pain.

Tom Petty, PA-C

... "needless to say" because it was Cardiology, I hope? I have sent many patients for marijuana recommendations for medical purpose, including older patients who are experiencing loss of appetite. I stand with the American Academy of Family Physicians on this topic, as far as uses in medicine go. But I get it, it's a giggly and titillating (I love saying that word) topic ;). Still, it's a serious one for those and theirs who it helps.

... "needless to say" because it was Cardiology, I hope? I have sent many patients for marijuana recommendations for medical purpose, including older patients who are experiencing loss of appetite. I stand with the American Academy of Family Physicians on this topic, as far as uses in medicine go. But I get it, it's a giggly and titillating (I love saying that word) topic ;). Still, it's a serious one for those and theirs who it helps.

Yes, disappointed as the scope of a green card authorization is not something the cardiologist feels is their place to discuss. There is a paucity of evidence to indicate that the use of MJ is beneficial in the treatment of cardiac disease. The patient was redirected back to their primary provider to explore other routes.

Yes, disappointed as the scope of a green card authorization is not something the cardiologist feels is their place to discuss. There is a paucity of evidence to indicate that the use of MJ is beneficial in the treatment of cardiac disease. The patient was redirected back to their primary provider to explore other routes.

Right, in fact I think I remember reading somewhere that sativa strains can cause an increased heart rate which probably wouldn't be good for certain Cardio patients. What's the other one that doesn't, indica? Good thing there are Docs who know this stuff and can tend to the appropriate garden or whatever they do.

Archived