Case #17: The Princess and the PEA

Oouch 36 Fr tube. Isn't that too big?

I had this patient with similar presentation. 65 yo female. SP CABG x3, inserted IABP. Low EF. POD#2, stable, IABP removed. Saturday(POD 3), I was rounding in unit. She started to code. She coded 5 times in an hour. Able to bring her back each time. End up taking her back to the OR. LIMA closed. Put a new vein graft to the LAD and she did fine. Experience post op renal and respiratory failures. POD 6 coded for the last time.

Oouch 36 Fr tube. Isn't that too big?

I had this patient with similar presentation. 65 yo female. SP CABG x3, inserted IABP. Low EF. POD#2, stable, IABP removed. Saturday(POD 3), I was rounding in unit. She started to code. She coded 5 times in an hour. Able to bring her back each time. End up taking her back to the OR. LIMA closed. Put a new vein graft to the LAD and she did fine. Experience post op renal and respiratory failures. POD 6 coded for the last time.

No such thing as a chest tube that's too big (j/k)

For blood and possibly clot I'd want the biggest tube possible. 32-36 is good. Smaller tubes for air or free flowing transudative effusions.

So.....

We got back to the OR post-haste and opened the chest. Nothing impressive in the way of pericadial fluid- I had drained most of the it in the ICU.

Stuck a sucker in the left pleural space- 1600 cc frank blood, which blurted out under tension. Quick improvement in hemodynamics.

Did some other tidying up and brought her back to the ICU with an open chest. Closed her the next day.

I thought this was an interesting case b/c this pt carried several of the possible dx for PEA:

hypovolemia (recently dialyzed + perioperative blood loss)

? hyper/hypoK- ruled out but an immediate thought in a renal pt

Acidosis- also possibility in renal failure

Hypoxia- potential postop complication from fluid overload, secretions (mucous plug), PE

Ischemia/Infarct- recent CABG, CAD

Tamponade

Pneumothorax- chest tubes removed one day prior

The final thoughts were: relatively hypovolemic from her first postop dialysis combined with pericardial fluid and, most importantly, tension hemothorax. This was a little lady and 1600 of blood in the left chest probably had a significant tension effect.

After the OR I was thinking that I got faked out by the CXR. The film did not have a huge white-out from a bloodt effusion but the echo showed fluid in the pleural space. in retrospect I should have but the chest tube in at the bedside- it may have avoided a trip to the OR.

The only upsides to exploring her chest was 1) washed out some mediastinal clot, 2) put new, functional pacing wires on (old ones were not working).

I don't think there was one clear cause of PEA arrest in this lady but a combination of several different factors.

For blood and possibly clot I'd want the biggest tube possible. 32-36 is good. Smaller tubes for air or free flowing transudative effusions.

So.....

We got back to the OR post-haste and opened the chest. Nothing impressive in the way of pericadial fluid- I had drained most of the it in the ICU.

Stuck a sucker in the left pleural space- 1600 cc frank blood, which blurted out under tension. Quick improvement in hemodynamics.

Did some other tidying up and brought her back to the ICU with an open chest. Closed her the next day.

I thought this was an interesting case b/c this pt carried several of the possible dx for PEA:

Hypoxia- potential postop complication from fluid overload, secretions (mucous plug), PE

Tamponade

The final thoughts were: relatively hypovolemic from her first postop dialysis combined with pericardial fluid and, most importantly, tension hemothorax. This was a little lady and 1600 of blood in the left chest probably had a significant tension effect.

After the OR I was thinking that I got faked out by the CXR. The film did not have a huge white-out from a bloodt effusion but the echo showed fluid in the pleural space. in retrospect I should have but the chest tube in at the bedside- it may have avoided a trip to the OR.

The only upsides to exploring her chest was 1) washed out some mediastinal clot, 2) put new, functional pacing wires on (old ones were not working).

I don't think there was one clear cause of PEA arrest in this lady but a combination of several different factors.

Interesting case, thanks for sharing it. However, thanks to you, I tore up my PA Cert and started delivering mail for the first time today. :>)

So.....

Tamponade

Good. Interesting case.

When do you remove the CTs?

Archived