en1195

University of Detroit Mercy- Applying NOW 2013

Hey fellow UDM applicants,

Started a new thread for this cycle, as all others are from last year! Hope we can support each other here, answer questions, and if accepted find roommates too! The deadline for supplementary submission is quickly approaching, Feb 15,2013!!!

Good Luck!

Good luck to you as well! This is my second time applying to UDM (didn't get an interview the first time). Hopefully with my increase in hours, volunteer experience, and GPA, I'll be lucky enough to get an interview.

I just received an email saying that my application is ready for review and that they start reviewing applications in January. Maybe they wont keep us waiting as long as last yr! :)

This is my first time applying to UDM. I mailed my supplemental application about two weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet. I've taken all prerequisites except for one, which I am taking right now.

I was interviewed last year, and thought the staff and students were very welcoming. I asked for an analysis of my app after I was not accepted. They said to increase my GRE score ( it is 293) and increase my prereqs and GPA which both go up as you complete the prereqs. Hopefully, this time will go more smoothly.

My feedback was similar, and I improved most of what they suggested, however I did not re-take the GRE. I took the older version of the GRE and received a 980 the first time and a 1010 the second, with a 5.5 on the writing. The feedback from other schools said not to waste my money on retaking it, so I didn't. Hopefully that decision doesn't hurt me.

My feedback was similar, and I improved most of what they suggested, however I did not re-take the GRE. I took the older version of the GRE and received a 980 the first time and a 1010 the second, with a 5.5 on the writing. The feedback from other schools said not to waste my money on retaking it, so I didn't. Hopefully that decision doesn't hurt me.

That's the only part i didn't do either. I'm also hoping it doesn't hurt me. Moreover, I didn't realize you couldn't change your data after submitting to other schools. so, now I have to submit my previous material. Although my reasons for wanting to be a PA haven't changed stated on my PS, I wanted to offer new LORs.

Good job on the GRE!!!

So for those of you who have applied in previous years, how long does it take for them to get back with us regarding interviews, etc? I sent my application in early November and I know they don't start reviewing things until now but the wait kills me haha!

From other threads in the past years, it seems like March, around the 1st week is the earliest when people were finding out. Hopefully it's soon!

I was just wondering if any of u who got calls for interviews would share some of ir stats? If thats to personal of a question then no one has to answer! Thanks!

3.34 cumulative, 3.7 science at Wayne state university. I don't remember how many patient care hours I think roughly 4000-6000 in offices and on the oncology / hospice floor at St. John hospital and I've been there for 6.5 years. Idk what else is considered stats...

I graduated from the University of Michigan in 2011. My GPA is between 3.0 and 3.5, with science GPA a little higher. I have about 5,000 paid patient care hours and about 700 volunteer patient care hours. I've been working as a medical assistant for a cardiologist ever since I graduated from UofM, and worked as a nursing assistant during school. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the info! I just kind of wanted to see where I stand because as of now no call for an interview, so that isn't looking to good for me:( but thank you both for the info! And congrats!

Sherm1cn, I wouldn't be too concerned yet. After reading the threads from previous years it looks like calls go out for interviews about a week before the scheduled interview date. I'm waiting along with you! Congrats to relbathy and reddjillian and good luck Monday!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PerspiringPA
      Hello all,
      I'm brand new to this forum. I graduated with a degree in biology and a gpa of 3.52, and was planning to go to medical school the whole way through, while also thinking a lot about PA school. I was ready to apply to med school while I was finishing college, but decided to take some time away from the academic environment to make sure I really wanted to do med school. After almost a year of soul-searching, researching and deliberation (in addition to the last 4 years), I have finally decided that PA is a more appropriate career path for me. I had a great mcat score (93%) and I had all of the volunteer and leadership experience to make me a competitive applicant for med school. Now that I'm looking at PA schools, I need to get my direct patient care hours, take anatomy and physiology (I didn't do the whole series since medical schools don't require it), possibly take statistics, and possibly take the GRE.
      I have 400 hours of MA experience (not certified). I know the doctor personally and worked there for 4 months, I learned a lot but it was a very disorganized clinic. I have about 200 hours working as an EMT-B. I'm wondering if I should keep working as an EMT for a year and apply for the 2021 cycle once I take anatomy and physiology at my community college. I've looked at a lot of threads on the internet and from what I've found, paramedic is the best prep for being a PA; things like, "they were a head and shoulders above the rest of their class," and "they were very  experienced with patient assessments and had great clinical presence." I've also heard that it's unnecessary and a distraction if your end goal is PA. I want to be a paramedic and get real experience doing more advanced patient assessments, but it would push PA school at least 2 years back since I'd want to work for at least a year to make it worth it. Being an EMT entails a lot of driving and sitting around the station, and when I do get patient contacts, I'm not in charge unless it's a stable (BLS) patient.
      Should I take the time to become a paramedic and get really good experience or should I get as many EMT hours as possible in a year and then apply?
      Also, do schools look at how many hours I've worked or do they need to know how much time I spent doing patient care, versus driving and sitting around the station, and how do I record that?

My other main question is whether I should take the GRE or just rely on my MCAT score and not apply to "GRE required" schools. I live in CA and would like to stay in California, or at least in the west (CA, OR, WA, CO, AZ, NV, NM). This might be a question for a separate thread. 
      I know this is a lot, but it's pretty much everything on my mind right now, please feel free to only answer a portion of it if you want. 
      Thanks so much for the help!
    • By QuarterLifeCrisis34
      I'll spare the forum my life story and cut right to the chase: Which patient care experience would allow an applicant to be more competitive: EMT-B or CNA/STNA?  Or, does it not make a significant difference either way?
      I'm currently in the process of deciding which direction to go and am looking for some advice!  CNA/STNA classes seem to be more affordable and easier to obtain, but most of the available positions are in LTAC facilities.  Obtaining an EMT-B certification is more expensive, but it could lead toward higher acuity experience in a hospital setting.  I'm having an open mind to either option but am curious if PA schools seem to value on certification over the other.  (I'm not as concerned with salary of the position but rather what is going to make me the most competitive applicant). 
      Thank you in advanced for insights and feedback!
    • By seominky
      Hello! 
      I graduated from MSU with a Human Biology Major in Winter 2015.
      It has been about 3 years since i have graduated. I studied the MCAT and took the test once and did not apply to any med school because of my MCAT score and GPA.
      i have a GPA 3.0 and not sure about my science gpa about 2.7-2.9 
      I just got married this summer and have been rethinking about med school and wanted to go to PA school instead 
      It seems as competitive as med school but it is only 2 years of school. 
      I don't have ANY direct paid health care experience only volunteering and haven't taken the GRE yet 
      I am 25 years old and just need some help/guidance on the path. 
      so my questions are:
      1.) Should i go to graduate school for 2 years and get good grades to make up for my low GPA
      2.) Should i just get as much PCE as i can? and then apply ? 
      if so, which is better? CNA, MA, paramedic, EMT ? 
      3.) Lastly, should get certified to work as a CNA, MA, paramedic or EMT first, and then work while i go to grad school so i can get PCE and boost my GPA? 

i don't know where to start because I'm trying to find the most affordable and less time consuming way to be competitive to get into PA school 😞 

Thank you

• By AnneCypriano
      Hello!
      I'm planning on taking a 3 month EMT course this summer. I am already looking into different jobs that EMTs are capable of applying for just in case there are no EMT job opportunities near me when I am finished with the program. I had no idea how many different healthcare jobs people with an EMT certification could do. My question is this: which healthcare profession would look better on my PA application? 1. EMT 2. Patient Care Tech (there are awesome PCT jobs in different hospitals in oncology, etc. that I personally seem more interested in), 3. ER tech 4. Medical Assistant (Some clinics allow some EMT certification to work as a MA)
      I have read that a job in the hospital can be better because of the interactions with MDs, DOs, PAs, etc but I also know that some schools hold an EMT to a higher standard sometimes. 
      Thanks in advance! :) 
    • By dillydilly
      Hi everyone, first time poster here. Currently, I am an EMT on an ALS rig, shadowing a PA, volunteering as a standby event EMS for the racetrack, concerts, parades, and 49ers, and helping out with a mobile clinic to serve the homeless. I'll be traveling to Haiti this summer with Project Medishare. (other volunteer work but won't bore you all.)
      So my problem is, I am taking classes now and doing two full days of clinical research at UCSF and then working 12 hours on the ALS rig. While also doing the above mentioned volunteer hours every weekend (or late weekday nights). I am over extending myself.
      Would dropping the research at UCSF hurt my application? I believe research is more geared toward Med school...correct me if I'm wrong. I do enjoy the research (and thinks it does set me apart as an applicant)... but I love the patient contact with EMT and my volunteering opportunities. And want to maintain my good GPA. Anything helps. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More