ARC-PA accredited residency?

• 11 months later...

Getting accredited thru ARC-PA is voluntary and most programs are not. Thus far there doesn't seem to be any big push to get accredited....this will likely change, 5,10 years from now. They set certain standards and it will prevent some fly by night programs, but for now I would not worry about it. This is a very new thing...the rules and regulations will catch up with it

I looked into this last year

no real benefit from accreditation at this time that I could figure out

does ensure a certain level of education in the residency and in the long run will likely make a difference but I could not tell any benefit now

Veterans Affairs IM/Geri residencies I think are trying to become certified FWIW

I would go based on the reputation of each program and not the accreditation 

Just finished a fellowship and brought that up with my director, really echo everyone else about the fact there dosnt sound to be a benifit. Part of the issue is there is not a lot of consisitency across residencies on requirements for acceptance, grduation, etc

SEMPA has done a lot of work looking into EM PA residency and has a committiee that is looking into this, i would expect something from them in the next few years that would likely carry more weight in the emergency medicine world

Hope that helps

Our post gradate residency program has looked into the ARC accredidation and I say "ditto" to what ventana posted.

The process is cumbersome and quite expensive considering the hospital has nothing to really gain but putting out this $$.

The cost is between $10-11K and then an additional $1800 every 3hrs to keep the ARC accredidation.

This is why there are many fellowships/residencies not ARC verified.

Not only the points that Mary fran stated above, but there are so few resources the ARC-PA has dedicated to accrediting these programs that even programs that are trying to gain accreditation are having issues. Since it's optional, and I'm sure down on the rung of priorities for ARC-PA, many programs aren't accredited....yet.

• 3 years later...
22 hours ago, Cali7 said:

Accreditation has been in abeyance by ARC-PA for at least 3-4 years now. No post-graduate residency or fellowship programs are currently accredited.

ARC-PA isn't going to look at this until at least November. However there is a new PA residency accrediting organization forming under CAHEP. 

Archived