Boost GPA or get a Master's? Need advice

I recently graduated from UGA with a major in Biology. My overall GPA was a 3.07...which is not great. I have plenty of experience, and have been working for the same doctor for the past 5 years (during the summers while I was in college). I also have shadowed PA's and worked for a year during college as a histology assistant in a hospital lab. I applied to PA schools at the end of this past summer, and I have not gotten into any of them. I figure my biggest problem is my GPA. I am looking for advice as to whether I should retake some of the classes I did not do as well in during undergrad, or if I should go get a masters in possibly Biochemistry or something of the like, and then reapply to PA school. I am not sure which one would further my chances of getting into PA school. Thanks!!

Well, if you aren't concerned with time then go ahead with the masters. If you would rather apply next cycle, I would pinpoint the programs where you meet their minimum requirement for GPA, then I would look at each program's prerequisite list. Take the next two semesters and work towards getting A's in all of those prerequisites, even if your retaking them. Also, continue to keep getting pt care hours and make sure you have strong recommendation letters. With a bio degree, A's in the prerequisites, strong rec letters, and good pt care hours, you will be a good candidate. Just my opinion.

If it were me, I'm not sure I could justify getting a masters degree solely as a means to be accepted to PA school (unless of course you're really passionate about Biochemistry). You might want to consider taking other upper-level science courses (and rock them) so you can prove that you can handle difficult material. Also, if you did not fair all that well in your pre-reqs specifically, you could retake one or two of them and show that the 3.07 is not an accurate depiction of your abilities.

Continue to improve your application in the coming months (whether it be taking/retaking courses, taking on different responsibilities in your clinical experience, seeking out other meaningful experiences, etc.) and show the admissions committees that you deserve to be a PA.

Good luck!

My opinion would be to retake courses that you did poorly in. I would look at the specific programs that you are interested in and look at your grades in their prerequisite courses. Any course that is a prerequisite that you have less than a B in I would retake. Its important to remember that in taking courses whether Master's or otherwise, you need to get solid A's to really boost your GPA, otherwise it will not be worthwhile (unless you jump from a D to a B or something like that). It would probably be more cost effective to retake courses rather than pursue a Master's. You may even be able to take some at community colleges (check with the schools that you are interested in), and this may save you some money.

from a different thread....... but reposted as it applies here

My opinion is that this thread is in the wrong area of this forum...

My suggestion is that you post this stuff in the "Pre-PA area" as this has NOTHING to do with Professional Licensed and Certified PA-Cs.

Moderators... please move this...!!!

Archived