Ad in paper reads: "Physician's Assistant wanted"...seriously?

"Physician's Assistant wanted for busy Orthopaedic Surgeon. Duties include surgical assisting medical rounds and office hours. NCCPA Board Certification required. Experience strongly preferred, but will train. Compensation: $11.70p/hr"

This is a local ad and it annoys me a bit. First of all, Physician's not Physician Assistant? Furthermore, $11.70/ hr, this is a joke right? I called the number for the ad and it was the correct amount. Please tell me that I'm not busting my butt in school for this. I'm pretty sure I thought this is what Medical Assistants make. Can someone shed some light on this?

The crazy thing is that I read in another post that taking $35/hr hurts the PA profession. Where as, in the area that I live in, $31/hr is pretty average for a PA. According to glassdoor, salary.com etc. and some PA's that I've spoken with that have given me a "general range". $55,000 to $61,000 is average in this area and it makes me wonder what is going on with the payscales of PA's. I've heard doctors say that their pay is going to go down, Physical and Occupational Therapists, as well as nurses that are saying the same thing. PA's in this area make the same salary as an RN (not NP they make more).

If possible, could those who respond tell me what specialty they are in, how long they have been in the specialty, the area they are located and what salary range is acceptable? I know that's pretty personal but it also gives me insight as well. I don't want to be in a situation where I'm being undersold.

Thanks in advance!

If an RN is making the same salary as a PA in your workplace... I would suggest finding another job. THIS WEEK. That is an insult to the hard work and progress that PA's have had to earn in the past 40 years. There is no financial equivalency between the two professions (and I don't say that to belittle nurses, I say it because you are belittling the PA profession).

There is plenty of data to support the PA profession. Don't give in to greedy superiors.

Perhaps it's a typo and should read 117,000 per year? Charmstarz: call them Monday morning and ask about the ad and the typos regarding the title and pay scale. Let us know what they say. Send the link for the ad.

Just Steve: Don't belittle yourself for a dollar. You are worth more and should be betting $100. You just might be right! LOL!

Perhaps it's a typo and should read 117,000 per year? Charmstarz: call them Monday morning and ask about the ad and the typos regarding the title and pay scale. Let us know what they say. Send the link for the ad.

Just Steve: Don't belittle yourself for a dollar. You are worth more and should be betting $100. You just might be right! LOL!

I am scrounging the sofa for change to afford fancy coffee at my favorite shop. Life of a poor student. :-) A dollar is a day's riches.

^ where do you live?

I live in York, PA. Pay isn't great for a lot of fields around here. However I thought that was insulting for a PA as well and wanted some input. The ad was on craigslist so I'm not sure how seriously I should take it. However, I did get my job at the hospital through craigslist so who knows.

If an RN is making the same salary as a PA in your workplace... I would suggest finding another job. THIS WEEK. That is an insult to the hard work and progress that PA's have had to earn in the past 40 years. There is no financial equivalency between the two professions (and I don't say that to belittle nurses, I say it because you are belittling the PA profession).

There is plenty of data to support the PA profession. Don't give in to greedy superiors.

Trust me when I say that I will be taking a pay cut to go from RN to PA (in the beginning at least), but hopefully, there's room for growth. Also, several of my colleagues went back and completed an NP program but returned to floor nursing. The reasons sited were, "Better hours, more pay, more respect." I don't mind the financial piece. If I were in it for the money, I'd've never gone back to school. That being said, there's no place on earth I'd work as a PA for $11.70/hr. I might even have made the mistake of asking if it was a joke.

^^^ I know RNs make good money but really, a pay cut?

OP I'm from eastern Pennsylvania, and I can tell you, although it's not a high paying state (market flooded w/ all the PA programs) 12 bucks an hour aint the going rate.

Yep. I've been an RN for over two decades in a state with a really strong union.

I am scrounging the sofa for change to afford fancy coffee at my favorite shop. Life of a poor student. :-) A dollar is a day's riches.
Well, while you are doing that, I will be 'borrowing' some ketchup packets at the local Jack N Crack to make some tomato soup. LOL
... Charmstarz: call them Monday morning and ask about the ad and the typos regarding the title and pay scale. Let us know what they say. Send the link for the ad.
Yes, let's all know what transpires ...

Trust me when I say that I will be taking a pay cut to go from RN to PA (in the beginning at least), but hopefully, there's room for growth. Also, several of my colleagues went back and completed an NP program but returned to floor nursing. The reasons sited were, "Better hours, more pay, more respect." I don't mind the financial piece. If I were in it for the money, I'd've never gone back to school. That being said, there's no place on earth I'd work as a PA for $11.70/hr. I might even have made the mistake of asking if it was a joke.

I believe this. My mom makes over 100k as an RN with an associates degree and about 15 years experience, and the new grad PAs with masters degrees in the same area aren't getting that much. I'm sure it won't take too long to catch up, but I will know that plenty of nurses around me make more when I first graduate.

I saw that same ad on craigslist for Richmond, VA. Maybe they're scammers... anywho, I emailed them a friendly suggestion to edit their post to the proper title of the position they're seeking. :)

perfect

friendly professional re-education from the masses is what we ALL need to do to slowly correct these miss statements

Also, I tend to send a link to some salary data on PA's to support the fact they are way low - have done this with different jobs in a very polite manor just to have them see the facts...

the ad

http://richmond.craigslist.org/hea/3549166679.html

Archived