Urgent Care Hourly/Salary Range?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, a thread is resurrected. I'll let you know how my story turned out.

In mid-March, I landed a part-time (PRN) family practice/urgent care position in a great and growing clinic within 2 miles of my home. Although thrilled to have a few hours, I still needed to find another part- or full-time job to make ends meet. There were a few interviews which didn't lead to much until about two weeks ago when I had an interview with another (smaller) family practice clinic. Although they made me a part-time offer, I just never felt good about it.

The next day, I got a call from the first employer, asking if I wanted to take three 10-hour days per week in the urgent care, in addition to still covering some evening and Saturday shifts. Thirty hours per week is full time at this company, so they were offering me full-time work! I can't tell you how excited I was. I graciously turned down the other family practice position and immediately began full-time urgent care work for my current employer.

I. LOVE. IT. I can't tell you how happy I am with my new work arrangement. The people are great, urgent care can be fun, and you just can't beat my 1.8-mile commute. I'll admit that I probably should have asked for more pay, but I plan on renegotiating when I become eligible for benefits in a couple of months.

Anyway, I'm pleased to report that my story has a happy ending. This is my dream job. It really is. :)

Hi Christine... glad things have worked out for you. :smile:

I'm an applicant waiting for acceptance for a PA program, I do have a comment to make about what happened to you... more like advice for anyone considering one employer for another. I do not have much experience in negotiation and contracts (because I'm a medical assistant and we don't generally have such things to discuss with employers), but my husband does (though he's an engineer). What he always advises to anyone is NEVER tell your current employer thay you're accepting a new offer (or try to negotiate with a current employer) until your background checks are completed and have a signed contract in hand.

Also, my husband always keeps tabs on his industry and applies for jobs that he would consider, if the salary and benefits meet his expectation. It's a way to gauge your worth in the market. He learned this from his dad who still does this at age 80 and has stayed at the same employer for the last 32 years! Of course, keeping in touch with classmates is also good for knowing your worth. He always tells people to have an idea of what their absolute minimum is and to add 5 to 8K on top for negotiating room. Lastly, benefits are important and not to forget to compare current and proposed benefits... these are negotiable too... especially if you don't need a job.

Just some hopefully helpful ramblings I've heard over the years.

Guest Paula

OK, Christine...what did you get for your hourly wage......hopefully more that the $35 at the FP job!!! I'm glad this has worked out for you.

• 2 months later...

Archived