nailing the application help?

So I am not the greatest on paper. I have a GED and two horrible semesters under my belt. However, I have repeated most of the classes and passed with mostly As and Bs. Since returning to school I have gotten an a.s. in social science, and am currently finishing up my b.a. in anthropology of human biology. My current GPA is a 3.0, I have pulled it way up since failing a total of 8 classes some years ago. My poor academic transcripts are solely related to young naivety and the pursuit of a career as an artist. Since my rebel youth I have been employed most notably as an english as a second language teacher as well as a medical/ administrative assistant in a community based primary care office. Working in the medical office I have done everything from checking blood pressure to implementing/ designing the new electronic patient records database and training all employees of its use. Since my return to school this final time I have become part of the Phi Theta Kappa honors society during my time at community college. I have not done any extra curricular activities at my 4 year because on top of going to school full time I am also working full time. I have worked for my office for over 6 years and have sat in on visits, done ekgs, blood draws, etc. My lowest grade in a biology class to date is an F but after retaking the class I have gotten an A. I am also planning on contacting a cardiologist that my office works closely with to see if I may shadow him this summer. I also may ask my current employer's nephew to shadow, he is an orthopedist. I have not taken the GRE yet but plan to do so after taking a prep course. I will graduate next spring, but plan to apply to PA school next fall.

What if anything can I do in the mean time to make sure my academic history and young stupidity don't continue to haunt me in the future? I pretty much fell into my current line of work and I have loved every minute of it. I really want to have the opportunity to prove that I can be in a position to do more for the patients I see every day. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Archived