My job is a mess (and now so am I)

I was hired for a clinic position in thoracic surgery. A week later (after I turned down other offers), the administrator of the dept called and said that the offer the section head gave me was for the inpatient floor/surgical position, not clinic -- and that clinic would be about $30K less. I was floored. But then it got worked out. I was told that things would be worked out so I could mostly be in clinic, but may have to cover the floor on occasion. Fast forward through the long process of credentialing, I started almost 2 months ago. NO ONE knew exactly what my role would be. There are now 2 lead PAs, one of whom thinks her decisions are the bottom line. The first week I started, she asked if I knew what I was going to be doing and I said I thought mostly clinic based on a recent conversation with the administrator. She said, "no, half clinic, half floor." I inquired about the OR, which I don't like, and she said I'd train in there, but wouldn't have to worry about really covering in there.

My job posting, btw, says "primarily outpatient" with "back-up" on the floor/OR. In my opinion, back-up is not a scheduled thing...it's if someone is sick or if overtime is necessary. Maybe my definition is skewed.

Anyway, at this point, 2 months in, I am a mess. I got called into the OR this week. And apparently it can happen at any time. No one has time to answer my questions. My lead trainer has been on vacation half of my employment. The other people try to help, but it's so hectic that it's really difficult. The section head thinks the PAs should be like the residents, able to plug them in anywhere.

I am good with patients. Really good with patients. I was hired for clinic, where I belong. I like the people I work with and don't want to leave. But they've totally changed my whole job description. I want to be a team player, but at what expense?

Has anyone gotten hired to find out their new job is not what it was advertised to be? I'm angry, frustrated, and can't stop crying. I am not a "crier" but I've become one.

The best part is that there was a meeting held today (without me present) with the section head, administrator, and 2 lead PAs. The administrator was going to push for me to be in clinic only. Well, apparently it didn't go so well because he said I'm still supposed to come in for floor "training" as scheduled next week. I told him I'm tired of the communicating about me; no one is communicating to me. This situation is ridiculous.

Any advice? I know most people will say "quit" but I really hoped it would work out. I don't know what to do.

I would advise you to look for a position elsewhere, leave without giving any notice ahead of time, and then clearly explain why your leaving. There should be a clear job description. This type of administrative BS is only going to get worse. Document everything and consider legal advice. This is a serious situation and your gut feeling was right. Take control before you get taken control of. There are a lot of vicious administrative #$#@!$^ out there. Best of luck. P.S. Be a whistle blower at first chance.

I would advise you to look for a position elsewhere, leave without giving any notice ahead of time, and then clearly explain why your leaving. There should be a clear job description. This type of administrative BS is only going to get worse. Document everything and consider legal advice. This is a serious situation and your gut feeling was right. Take control before you get taken control of. There are a lot of vicious administrative #$#@!$^ out there. Best of luck. P.S. Be a whistle blower at first chance.

Be sure to state in writing and orally when you leave the position, that you consider your leaving a "Constructive Discharge". This means you were forced out of your job by THEIR behaviors and the subsequent dysharmony.

Archived