Needing some help soul-searching...

You can't say that, E. You'd just be being mean and unfairly crushing newbie dreams. After all, no one could legitimately be trying to tell traditional age folks to go to med school. We must have some vast dark ulterior motive in doing so. Can't POSSIBLY be for a good reason... </sarcasm>

well, maybe she would have been a crappy dr too. who knows?

I can definitely relate to the OP's post. I have been a PA for 2 years as well, 2 different jobs. I haven't found my groove yet and I sure hope it will come soon. I am also beginning to feel like this was a mistake... but I had 11 years as a medic prior to becoming a PA. I was not naive when it came to patients... My misery is coming from SP's not understanding how to appropriately utilize a PA. My first job I had 1 week of training then set free in an ER that saw 150+ pts a day with only 1 MD, 1 pa, and 1 RMA pa from 10am to 7 pm. I was completely overwhelmed and burned out after a year. Now I am in surgery and all I do is follow my surgeons around like a puppy for 16 hours a day for the past year. All I'm good for is holding retraction in the OR and I can't do that right most of the time. I constantly ask for more responsibility and am ignored. That is not why I went to school. I am currently looking for another job, but they are very hard to come by where I live. Moving isn't an option. So all I can do is continue to search for something I feel will help me grow as a provider... and make me happy.

I can definitely relate to the OP's post. I have been a PA for 2 years as well, 2 different jobs. I haven't found my groove yet and I sure hope it will come soon. I am also beginning to feel like this was a mistake... but I had 11 years as a medic prior to becoming a PA. I was not naive when it came to patients... My misery is coming from SP's not understanding how to appropriately utilize a PA. My first job I had 1 week of training then set free in an ER that saw 150+ pts a day with only 1 MD, 1 pa, and 1 RMA pa from 10am to 7 pm. I was completely overwhelmed and burned out after a year. Now I am in surgery and all I do is follow my surgeons around like a puppy for 16 hours a day for the past year. All I'm good for is holding retraction in the OR and I can't do that right most of the time. I constantly ask for more responsibility and am ignored. That is not why I went to school. I am currently looking for another job, but they are very hard to come by where I live. Moving isn't an option. So all I can do is continue to search for something I feel will help me grow as a provider... and make me happy.

time to try the real profession - rural primary care........

LOL!! I've even tried to get hired as a rural primary care PA! They won't look twice at me because of my EMS/ ER background. I had an interview 3 weeks ago and the MD came into the interview 20 min late, asked me 1 question (that the others had already asked me) and ignored me the rest of the interview. Completely disinterested. Oh well. I will keep trying.

LOL!! I've even tried to get hired as a rural primary care PA! They won't look twice at me because of my EMS/ ER background. I had an interview 3 weeks ago and the MD came into the interview 20 min late, asked me 1 question (that the others had already asked me) and ignored me the rest of the interview. Completely disinterested. Oh well. I will keep trying.

Why your EM background is holding you from getting a job as a primary care pa ?

Wow, I work rural primary care and had concurent experience with urgent care/EM when I first started in rural (both part-time jobs). All I can say is rural jobs NEEDS someone with an Em/urgent care background. We get plenty of chest pain patients, injuries, strokes, etc., that needs immediate attention, and fast. You can learn the primary stuff as you go along in rural medicine, but the EM/UC is what helped me the most in rural care.

What state are you in?

• 4 months later...

Sorry to listen to you're having such difficulties. Appears to be like you are not a excellent coordinate for your job place. I lately had a NP darkness who had no encounter in our area. She is being offered adequate one on one coaching with the doctor / doctor team.

Archived