Sign in to follow this  
brf09

Everyday Uses of Math and Chemistry in the PA Profession

I'd like to hear some examples of common uses of math and chemistry related skills in a PAs work tasks. The programs I am applying to only require chemistry I & II (no organic chem or biochem), and one math course as prereqs. I wanted to ask the opinion of practicing PAs on these requirements. I know I will learn biochem and organic in PA school, but I thought the programs would want to know a student's proficiency in these subjects before accepting them.

Thanks!

The program I am applying only requires chem I & II, and one math course...no biochem or organic. I know I will learn more about these subjects in PA school, & I assume the math skills learned will be specific to the types of calculations needed for a health care career..but I would assume the program would need to know a student's proficiency in the areas of biochem, organic, and more advanced math courses. Opinions?

those are the minimums... many competetive applicants will have taken chemistry up through biochem. whether or not you apply the skills you glean from those courses, you wont want to avoid them.

I think that if I had been let into PA school without having had Biochem and Organic I first, I would have been in a program that wasn't as good as mine. Biochem is absolutely essential to understanding how cellular mechanisms work, in my opinion. I can't remember most of the nit-picky details anymore, but I developed an awareness and a sensibility about, say, cellular respiration that is important to understanding anaesthesia, or carbon monoxide poisoning.

What program only requires chem 1 and 2? I imagine it is a program that requires 4k+ HCE. I never took orgo, but I have been using biochem in patho daily. The only math I encounter is stats, and it is abundant.

I'm sorry for double posting, but I wanted to get the opinions of both practicing PAs and PA students. I did not think PA-Cs would be visiting the PA-S section. So what are suggestions for finding answers from both students and practitioners?

Febrifuge -

Do you think it is because in practice you only need this "awareness and a sensibility" (rather than all the details) that some programs do not require biochem as a prereq?

I am applying to The University of Oklahoma, Wichita State, and Texas Tech & all programs only require up through chem II. Also, while all programs "strongly recommend" HCE, they don't require it.

"strongly recommend" means "you need it" if there is a large applicant pool.....one of the new programs in nc had 1200 applicants for 20 spots this yr....anything that sets you apart from the herd can make a difference....

I wouldn't speculate about why some programs require it and some don't; all I can say is that my Clinical Lab class didn't need to waste time explaining enzyme action or acid-base chemistry, and that made for a better and more detailed Clinical Lab class. Same with Hepatic or Nephro systems in the A&P courses. I understand that this can be folded in to the core medical courses, but it seems like that would take up time that could be spent on the specifics.

I'm not saying you can't understand ABG results or correct an acid-base problem without having had the courses; it's just that I'm more confident in the medicine because I had the science first, before I got to PA school.

And finally, one of the things I like about this board is the way the pro PAs take time to check out the student boards too. Often that's a better road for certain questions, because other students usually have the same ones.

I cant recall using any of my Orgo in PA school, and really just a little bio-chem during A&P. Math... again, not so much. As EMEDPA stated, there isnt any of this on the PANCE/PANRE. well maybe 1 or 2 questions in relation to pharm, but thats it max. If youre dying to apply yourself in these topics, go to Med school and take step1.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By AmbitiousPA2B
      Hey guys, 
      I will be applying to PA school this cycle and I was talking to an admissions counselor at the PA school I am interested in going (in my home town) about my academic record/healthcare experience and how I can be a more competitive applicant. In conclusion, she recommended I re-take Gen Chem II cause I got a D the first time I took it. Some background on me is that I have a cGPA of 3.1 and I knew that wasn't competitive enough for PA school and decided to get a Master's in Science which I got a cGPA of 3.5 with a sGPA of 3.6. I figured that since I took a lot of upper level chemistry and biochem courses in grad school it would counteract my D in gen chem II. However, they don't factor in grad grades with the undergrad pre-req grades which I should've known and feel stupid that I don't so I am looking at retaking gen chem over the summer before Aug 1. Other areas of my app are very strong with a good enough GRE, over 2,500 healthcare hours and other volunteer experience. This is literally my last battle and any advice would be amazing! 

SO she recommended I take Gen Chem II online at UNE (University of New England) and she said I;d be able to finish that in 8 weeks. I absolutely hated GC II and I really need to pull off an A. I've never experienced taking an online class through UNE...if any of you guys have had any experience and how hard you think it would be to pull off an A that would be greatly appreciated!! 
    • By TessL
      I'm thinking of finishing my BS as a chemistry major. Is there any benefit for this as a Dermatologist PA? Any info is helpful, thank you!
    • By alwaysivy
      Hello, 
      I've been searching for awhile. I tried to apply to a course that was offered at a community college, but my home school took too long processing the paperwork they needed, so my plans fell through. My request is a bit specific. I need an 8 weeks course (or at least one I can complete before May) that is Organic Chemistry II but with no lab portion, as I have already completed that part of the course. The closest I've come is Doane but their course only seems to have the lab portion attached.
      Please and thank you!
      EDIT: Needed to fulfill Bachelor's Degree before going further
    • By Saverina
      Hello everyone! I recently decided to choose the PA route during the last quarter of my senior year (graduated 2018) and I have been taking a few pre reqs to catch up.
      As of now, I will technically have my pre reqs done by early June. However I planned to retake Chemistry because I had 2 C’s in the class and I want the schools to see that I can do well in Chemistry. The retake classes wouldn’t finish until mid August (at the latest).

My question: Do you guys think it’s better to send in my app early in June, especially since I’m planning to apply for some schools with rolling admissions? Or should I wait until I get my grades back from the retake and send my app by late August?

My undergrad GPA right now is around sGPA: 3.25 and cGPA: 3.425 (this is based on my own calculation while following “how to calculate your GPA” on CASPA’s website). This doesn’t include my post bacc work with pre reqs and I’m hoping my GPA will go up too after classes.

The schools I'm looking at are mostly in CA (and a few out of state) and are ok with a C for prereqs. And they are ok with having "in-progress" coursework on CASPA.

Thank you!
    • By mari33
      So I just finished my second semester of my second year and it has been the hardest thing I have ever had to face. All throughout highschool and my first two years I have always gotten A's and B's in all my classes. However this semester, I got an F in BIO 100(which at my school is a course equivalent to a 300 level class at other schools so it was hard on its own) and a NC in chem(I'm retaking it this summer because my professor offered it to me and I know for a fact I can get an A in that class) and a C in calculus. Let's just say that this semester, life decided to bury me with everything that would ensure I could not focus on my studies. My parents were fighting DAILY and used me as their buffer/middle man and decided divorce was the answer (and a nasty one at that). Because my parents were too busy fighting, they forgot that they had 3 kids to look after but we're so caught up in what they were doing I ended up doing all the cooking/cleaning/shopping for the house. I had to take up a second job as well because I had to pay for things for my siblings and the house that I couldn't afford on just the one job. I had class three days a week from 7am-10pm which meant I wasn't home from 5am-midnight because I have a horrible commute. And I worked the other 4 days. (2 jobs) so I would get all my studying in during my little breaks at school and let's just say I didn't really sleep this semester. I obviously want to go into PA but I don't think I can now with how horrible my grades were this semester. My GPA is still above a 3 but it is no longer competitive. I'm really scared for my future because I cannot retake BIO 100 because I also pay for my own tuition and I can't afford to retake the class. I can only afford to move forward. I start orgo and lab in the fall and I'm excited bc I love orgo and I'm actually good at it. And a few other classes that go towards my human bio major that I'm not worried about. Despite what my grades show, sciences and maths have always been my strong suit and honestly, I'm not changing my career path. I know I'm a smart cookie, and that I can get an A in the rest of my classes as long as I think of myself for a bit. And Ik that's selfish but it's true.I had no choice but to be there for my family this semester and my grades suffered greatly for it. I know that is no excuse and it won't be for PA School but I don't know what to do now. I'm at a loss and I'm genuinely slipping into depression from all thats happened. I feel like I just ruined my future... Is there a shot at me still getting into PA School? I GENUINELY cannot see myself doing anything else. Maybe in the future I can retake BIO but for now I have to think of my possibilities for without retaking it. 
      Any insight would be IMMENSELY appreciated. 
      Thank you in advance
      All the best,
      Mariam

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More