The University of Tennessee PA Program

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone applying to UT this cycle?

I am but im concerned my GRE isn't high enough. It's 297 and they consider 300 competitive. So may wait until I retake it before I apply. It didn't say anything about the writing GRE though. Do you know if they weigh HCE pretty high?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Congrats JGraham on the interview. There are a few members on here who are current students in the inaugural class at UT and they may be able to answer questions if you have any.

Thank you, JMann! I would love to know how everyone feels about the program now that they are a year into it. I am also curious to hear the reasons why people chose UT over other programs they had interviews with. It looks like such a great program with great faculty, so I would love to hear a student point of view! 

I would think JMann and most of the rest of us at UT agree that being part of the inaugural class has been filled with its perks and its drawbacks. There were of course some kinks that needed to be worked out and some that are still in the process of being worked out. Good news is, being part of the first class has allowed us to have more of a say and at least provide some input into the process.  Regardless of that, as candidates for the possible 2nd class, you do need to prepare yourself for one of the most academically challenging/time consuming tasks in your life. If you're willing to learn and dedicate yourself, the amount of resources you can find on this campus is staggering and there will be no short supply of information. And you will definitely leave this place knowing more than when you came in. I guess I would sum it up in 2 words: Be Ready

JGraham, soxman352000 has good advice. This program is tough, just like any other program, and will challenge you on every level. Working out the first year kinks has been interesting and there will be kinks for the second year as well, but anyone in next years class will be in good hands. When you come in for your interview, be yourself and relax. If you got an interview you meet the requirements and it's just a process of seeing if you fit and if the program fits you. We don't have class that day, but there will be a few of us here to answer questions I believe. Perhaps we shall meet. 

I would second everything JMann and Soxman has said. We are still working out the kinks, but it is an excellent program and it will be even better by time January rolls around. It is a tough curriculum, as JMann said. I have done a lot in my life (military, graduate school) and many aspects of PA school trumps those experiences. You made a good choice applying here. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet some of you when you interview. Good luck!

Can anyone offer any advice about how late is "too late" to apply? The GRE testing centers in my area weren't offering the exam until June 20th... so I'll be taking the GRE on the 20th and submitting my application this weekend but obviously the scores will take 12-15 business days to be received by CASPA but at least I can get my application in this weekend.

I noticed some people are already offered interviews which is awesome! Just wondering if you guys think I still have a good chance submitting this late

Jhaboria, get that app in! You can submit without the GRE score. They'll review what they get and have you pending (at least that's what I understand). I applied a little late into the process. I think it was the middle of July. Half the class was already selected by the time I had my interview in August. Get that thing in because spots go quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply BigOrangePA. I'm glad they grant interviews in August! That is encouraging. I hope my 7,000+ hours of healthcare experience as an emergency room technician might warrant some attention even if my application wasn't in the earlier batches. Good luck everyone!!

• 3 weeks later...

Does the program send out emails saying they received everything? My CASPA was verified on 6/24 and GRE scores posted to CASPA 7/2. I haven't had any correspondence from the program and other programs have emailed me acknowledging they have received everything. Just wondering if they send anything out or just an interview invite/rejection.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I applied through CASPA in mid July. I was taken some summer classes that I have completed. I have to get that transcript mailed to UT and I am taking the GRE in mid Aug. With applying as early as I could and still having to take the GRE, what are my chances of getting into the program? Or is the class full by now?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have had absolutely no correspondence from this school. I sent an email and even called and left a voicemail but my email and phone call were not returned. I didn't want to pester anyone so I've pretty much come to accept that I probably won't hear anything...

They are interviewing 30 people at a time and have done 3 rounds I think. Admissions committee met on 8/1. I'm guessing some people will get letters from the decisions made at that meeting. I think they're may be one more round of interviews already set up, but I'm not sure. Hope the info helps.

Archived