Is this worth it?

Hi, I'm in need of advice. I am a stay at home mom and have been out of work for 9 months. I found a part time job but it is an hour and half away. Is it worth it for me to drive 1 1/2 hr to work for two days and put my baby in daycare only to have $80 take home pay? I would take home after taxes, gas, and daycare expenses per week of $80.

Reasons for wanting the job:

It is a temporary job so I will not be doing this for long term.

It is part time so I can spend most of my time with baby at home.

I want the job because I want to have a job on my resume and not have a huge gap in my resume.

Also, I need to keep up my skills as a PA and not be stale with medical knowledge.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

No, for $80 take home pay it is not worth it. What is the salary for the job? I'm trying to crunch numbers and have a hard time believing you would only take home $80. For example: if you are hourly at $50/hr for 16 hrs a week, it would be $800. Then subtract $80 daycare, $100 gas and $200 taxes (roughly 20%) you would have $420 left. For that it would be worth it for the reasons you mentioned. If this is a temporary job, you should be offered a high hourly rate since you will be receiving no benefits. I would not settle for anything less than $50 per hour.

oops, taxes were figured 25%

Thanks Paula for your response. I will not get paid $50 per hour, I'm getting less than that. I will get 12 hours per week. Yes, with taxes of 25%, day care and gas my take home would be $200. As a contractor my taxes would be 40% and my take home would be roughly about $80.

I guess, it is not worth it. Thank you for your input.

do they pay malpractice ? and the type where you do not have to pay a tail at the end (i think I am using the correct terminology here). If you need to pay a tail that could be a thousand bucks at the end of the year and you would make nothing. It sounds like they should pay you more. Since you have nothing to lose I would respond advising them you are likely going to accept a position elsewhere and I do not think it would burn bridges if you advised them it was due to economic reasons. Maybe they counter. It is probably not very easy to find a PA for 12 hours a week. I could see finding a PA for 12 hours on a weekend ... but during the week its hard in primary care.

(The letter after "B" on my keyboard is suddenly not typing, so sorry for the weird typos! LOL!)

I had a long ommute like that for a year and said, "Never again!" Just felt like it took too muh out of me. Some people have a higher resistane for that kind of thing, though, and if you know it's temporary, maybe that makes it more tolerable. There's always books on tape to help you feel like you are not totally wasting your time.

Sounds like you have reasons other than money. Is it an area of mediine you are partiularly interested in? Will it feed your mental health to have a break from hildare and interfae with the outside world twie a week? Or will you just be kiking yourself the whole time about the time away for not enough money?

Good luk, and hope you ould read this! :)

Archived