VA Careers

Ventana,

As I mentioned above, this is a union problem, and they in fact control the VA and who gets hired. Case in point, prior to leaving my CBOC in SC and moving to Chicago, the same position was open in the local hospital. I have excellent marks, promoted to full pay at gs-9, and I called the HR folks. Asked the basics and was told only locals in the current AOR could apply. I pulled all strings I knew to no abandon. It's possible the new VA legislature would alleviate some of this stupidity, but I fear the DVA and Unions will shut McCain and his cronies down.

It's a shame that they are beholden to the nurses union and losing on excellent talent. My only suggestion is to look at a different region, Houston and Dallas seem to hire PA's at what I imagine are solid pay commeusarate to experience. I'm only a lowly Pre-PA and hope in 3 yrs the situation has changed for the better. Sorry to read about your experience and know the loss that the Vets will incur as a result.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this situation shocking and insane. I deployed with a team of like 7 PAs and 3 Physicians. The military has a PA school. I just assumed that everything associated with the military was PA,PA,PA. It wouldn't have surprised me if there was a greater diversity of APPs, but would not have expected this. That said, I do notice some of the regional differences people speak of here ie a nearby VA has about a dozen PAs vs. zero or one in ours..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived